CB Liphistius ornatus - 2 year summary and videos

Ambly

Arachnobaron
Hello all,

Here are some pictures and videos of my Liphistius ornatus, all are captive bred spiderlings from the same brood besides the one adult shown in the video! They are doing well so I hope to begin carefully distributing them when weather permits. I have actively and passively been rehoming and distributing them into ten gallons (containing up to 10 individuals depending on size). I will add a brief summary on keeping them soon. I have learned a lot!

I love these things... far from a pet hole. The videos don't do them justice. Some of these things, even the adult female at times, have lines up to 3 inches long and launch themselves a great distance for food.

Enjoy!

Adult female - 2Chainz - feeding on cricket

Spiderlings catching fruitflies

Spiderling catching fruitflies

Subadult catching a cricket

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I was wondering when we'd see more of these. They jump so far! I'm used to waiting for a cricket to practically walk over the top of a trapdoor spider's hole, but I guess these got impatient :)

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The tank full of babies is adorable. It's like a minefield for feeders.
I have two adult females I've raised from little spiderlings and I'm hoping to find males for them so I can breed them one day to set up colonies.

Ambly

Arachnobaron
I have two adult females I've raised from little spiderlings and I'm hoping to find males for them so I can breed them one day to set up colonies.
nice name! I'm a frog man myself. I did have another mature into a male but I don't think it bred successfully. I'd like to see others breeding these so happy to help where I can

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wow, such a cool project and thanks for updating us on how it has been going! Might have to pick a few of these up when you're able to ship, space permitting lol.

Ambly

Arachnobaron
While I've got your attention, I could use your collective input:

When I begin selling them, I would like to ensure they're going to a good place. Is it too much to ask to see a picture of their setup before selling?

I understand there are likely many good ways to keep these spiders and I would provide suggestions, with pictures, for creating a setup for them. I do not want to discourage folks from being creative or trying their own methods of keeping, but I do want to ensure the approximate 50 to 75 that I might be letting go do not dry up and die within 1 year! It can happen to the best of us.

Sean

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

When I begin selling them, I would like to ensure they're going to a good place. Is it too much to ask to see a picture of their setup before selling?

I understand there are likely many good ways to keep these spiders and I would provide suggestions, with pictures, for creating a setup for them. I do not want to discourage folks from being creative or trying their own methods of keeping, but I do want to ensure the approximate 50 to 75 that I might be letting go do not dry up and die within 1 year! It can happen to the best of us.

Sean
I'd say that's well within your rights as the seller to see that sort of thing. Just put it in your ToS and you should be good. With such a rare species, and one with much different keeping requirements, it's definitely for the best interest of the hobby for them to keep going. And no one would want to buy a specimen that's just going to up and die on them anyway. I think as long as you're willing to be helpful when it comes to enclosure set up and understand that not everyone will provide that perfect enclosure, you can be a little picky with who you sell to.

Spiderbakesale

Arachnopeon
This is so cool! I could never have one (they're so fast) but I love watching them. Thanks for the videos!

(And it's entirely acceptable to ask for a setup pic before sending, you've put tons of work into this! And they're living critters!)

basin79

ArachnoGod

Sean
It's definitely not too much to ask to see where they're going to. Definitely not.

Well played for taking that attitude.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
been wanting to pick these up for years... Every time they come up, I am on AB tooo late...
PM me!!

Ambly

Arachnobaron
top to bottom: 1 - 2Chainz, mother of brood. 2 - endoscope shot from a burrow left by a male that I expected to be uninhabited. 3-subadult, 4-spiderling**, 5-subadult

** Note the size disparity. I think this is limited to food capture and that the smaller spiders are just as healthy, but not as rapidly growing. For this reason, I have been actively and passively rehoming them into enclosures with only a few spiders so I can better monitor their growth.

They're very beautiful and active spiders. Babies are grey or brown with bands on the legs. They retain this coloration until the size of picture 3 and the following molt or two will bring them deep reds and purples in the legs. This is a hobby for me, just for fun, and many other things I love occupy my time - but I would like to create a spreadsheet and monitor several to see if there is any easily observed sexual dimorphism or traits (physical, behavioral, etc.) that might suggest male. I had a hunch about both of my males prior to their maturity, but I can't put my finger on why.

Hope you enjoy.

Ambly

Arachnobaron
Thank you, Tony. Working on a care sheet / notes on my experience with keeping that I hope will be useful for those keeping Liphistids in the future! When weather warms I'll begin shipping some out

Aphonopelma81

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know this thread is a little old but....I've sold CB Sphodros,Ummidia and Cyclocosmia slings and spent hours communicating to the potential buyers about proper setup, step by step. About half in a weeks would contact me complaint about the slings death. I always asked about their setup and it was always wrong, nothing like I discussed with them. And a lot of the time they would say " well I've kept the red African type before fir a while( awhile to slit of the buyers was a few months)" I really wish I thought of asking for setup pics before I sold them . I think it's a great idea! I will start to do that now
James

Ambly

Arachnobaron
Still looking for a pairing?

Ambly

Arachnobaron
They are certainly entertaining. I'm selling some but even my non invert friends (musicians, rugby players and what not) love them and have taken some of my little 10gal colonies to watch when I am overseas! They call it "carnage" when they feed them and sometimes even pick me up crickets... and they never ask me to overfeed just so they can watch.

I see these things flipping their lids, working on them, throwing dirt, etc. pretty constantly - even from my peripherals. Had em 2 years and I am still constantly entertained.