CB, BB

datbagged620

Arachnopeon
I have two tarantulas One Cobalt blue and a Brazilian black. Both have barricade themselves in. They have been in hiding for about a month. And haven't eaten. The CB is over due for a molt its been about 5/6 months. The BB Witch is much younger and smaller hasn't molted in little over 2 months. Just before this they were bother moved into bigger tanks. I'm worried that this could of streesed them out. Any suggestions or thoughts is appreciated

Attachments

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Wait it out. T's truly teach the virtue of patience, lol. Where in Cali are you located?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I have two tarantulas One Cobalt blue and a Brazilian black. Both have barricade themselves in. They have been in hiding for about a month. And haven't eaten. The CB is over due for a molt its been about 5/6 months. The BB Witch is much younger and smaller hasn't molted in little over 2 months. Just before this they were bother moved into bigger tanks. I'm worried that this could of streesed them out. Any suggestions or thoughts is appreciated
In my experience, rehousing to a larger tank does stress them out a bit, but they usually calm down and get more comfortable with where everything is within a few days. I doubt the rehousing has anything to do with what you're seeing. They may just be in premolt. My G. pulchra went on an 8-month fast last year, and he's fine. Just keep the water dish full, and keep offering food every 1-2 weeks.

Also, and this may or may not be the case, sometimes owners think that their Ts are inactive/hiding because they don't notice the T coming out and drinking, etc in the overnight hours. I got a small red flashlight to peek at my crew at night without disturbing them recently, and it's pretty cool.

Last edited:

datbagged620

Arachnopeon
In my experience, rehousing to a larger tank does stress them out a bit, but they usually calm down and get more comfortable with where everything is within a few days. I doubt the rehousing has anything to do with what you're seeing. They may just be in premolt. My G. pulchra went on an 8-month fast last year, and he's fine. Just keep the water dish full, and keep offering food every 1-2 weeks.

Also, and this may or may not be the case, sometimes owners think that their Ts are inactive/hiding because they don't notice the T coming out and drinking, etc in the overnight hours. I got a small red flashlight to peek at my crew at night without disturbing them recently, and it's pretty cool.
At first they were coming out at night. Now they don't come out at all. Th CB made a wall of dirt and both sides of his log and the BB just barried the entrances of his with dirt. I've opened the entrances of both Ts only for them the be buried again by morning.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
At first they were coming out at night. Now they don't come out at all. Th CB made a wall of dirt and both sides of his log and the BB just barried the entrances of his with dirt. I've opened the entrances of both Ts only for them the be buried again by morning.
Gotcha. Well, all you can do is wait it out. As I've learned, tarantulas do things on their own schedule.

datbagged620

Arachnopeon
Probably. But I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't. T's are pretty fascinatingly weird.
If they aren't should I be worried, being that there both over due to molt? From what I was told my CB is st a juvenile and has an 1" or so more to grow. And wasn't molting because the cage he was in was too small. Don't know if that's true out not.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Just a heads up you stated in the original post you thought perhaps rehousing them stressed them out. I can guarentee opening the sealed burrow stressed them out. You should never open up the burrow.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You are keeping a tiny sling in a large setup? How's that working for you regarding prey/predator interactions?

You'll need to increase the amount of substrate as your BB gets larger, esp w/what looks to be screen tops clipped on. Screens are great way for a T to get their tarsal claws caught in, and either lose a leg, fall suffer injury, die etc.

Then again, if you have a sheet of plexi as the lid, smart idea ;)

datbagged620

Arachnopeon
Just a heads up you stated in the original post you thought perhaps rehousing them stressed them out. I can guarentee opening the sealed burrow stressed them out. You should never open up the burrow.
Oh okay.. Only did it after I saw it done. If all of this is stress related what should I do?

datbagged620

Arachnopeon
You are keeping a tiny sling in a large setup? How's that working for you regarding prey/predator interactions?
Both have ate sense they were moved the BB witch it a little bigger then a 50¢ peace didn't have a problem catching the cricket's. There are in 5gal tanks. I've heard both good and bad about have them in big tanks but they both catch food so assumed they fine.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Both have ate sense they were moved the BB witch it a little bigger then a 50¢ peace didn't have a problem catching the cricket's. There are in 5gal tanks. I've heard both good and bad about have them in big tanks but they both catch food so assumed they fine.
Ah, I thought you had it in a 10 gallon hah. As long as you are able to make sure there are sufficient interactions they are fine. We have a lot of people that don't know anything and drop their T into a large enclosure, then at some point wonder why their T isn't doing well. It's because the prey scurried into the corner and the Ts never found them etc.

datbagged620

Arachnopeon

You'll need to increase the amount of substrate as your BB gets larger, esp w/what looks to be screen tops clipped on. Screens are great way for a T to get their tarsal claws caught in, and either lose a leg, fall suffer injury, die etc.

Then again, if you have a sheet of plexi as the lid, smart idea ;)
I had glass lids but switched to the screens because of poor ventilation. Both tanks are half full with substrate.

datbagged620

Arachnopeon
Ah, I thought you had it in a 10 gallon hah. As long as you are able to make sure there are sufficient interactions they are fine. We have a lot of people that don't know anything and drop their T into a large enclosure, then at some point wonder why their T isn't doing well. It's because the prey scurried into the corner and the Ts never found them etc.[/QUOTE
Ah, I thought you had it in a 10 gallon hah. As long as you are able to make sure there are sufficient interactions they are fine. We have a lot of people that don't know anything and drop their T into a large enclosure, then at some point wonder why their T isn't doing well. It's because the prey scurried into the corner and the Ts never found them etc.
The tanks are a lot bigger then what both Ts are used too. I have been able to feed the BB with forceps he's/she is fairly unafraid of me have held it twice now. The CB however is mean as hell lol. He was the last T at the store that no one would buy. He is a wild cought tho as the BB is not.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The tanks are a lot bigger then what both Ts are used too. I have been able to feed the BB with forceps he's/she is fairly unafraid of me have held it twice now. The CB however is mean as hell lol. He was the last T at the store that no one would buy. He is a wild cought tho as the BB is not.
CB's are always like this, they are OW Ts., being WC has nothing to do with it. They are just extremely defensive.

You want about 1.5x the Ts DLS between sub and lid. Otherwise your T will have issues. Esp. G. pulchra, that species gets pretty bulky and decent sized. A fall from the height the sub is at now, could kill one via ruptured abdomen.

Instead of screen go w/Lexan or some other plexiglass for a lid, just drill some holes. Screen tops are never good for Ts.