Caught two jumping spiders!

justdreamaria

Arachnopeon
This is my first time posting on here and ever really owning a jumping spider so I apologize ahead of time if I post in the wrong thread. I had bought a bold juvenile jumping spider a couple weeks back from a breeder. Later on in the week my boyfriend finds another outside. It’s tan, about the same size or maybe a little bigger than the juvenile. We tried feeding her fruit flies, she would chase them and try to get them but not fully pouncing to eat. Well just today my boyfriend found another one outside (I think he really loves these guys). We have plenty of flightless fruit flies so we gave him some too, but I noticed the one I caught earlier in the week hasn’t eaten anything, her abdomen looked pretty big when I caught her so I figured she ate but now it’s starting to look like she’s a little hungry, only had her for a couple days. Any advice on getting her to eat. I attached a video of her incase anyone was curious.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
This is my first time posting on here and ever really owning a jumping spider so I apologize ahead of time if I post in the wrong thread. I had bought a bold juvenile jumping spider a couple weeks back from a breeder. Later on in the week my boyfriend finds another outside. It’s tan, about the same size or maybe a little bigger than the juvenile. We tried feeding her fruit flies, she would chase them and try to get them but not fully pouncing to eat. Well just today my boyfriend found another one outside (I think he really loves these guys). We have plenty of flightless fruit flies so we gave him some too, but I noticed the one I caught earlier in the week hasn’t eaten anything, her abdomen looked pretty big when I caught her so I figured she ate but now it’s starting to look like she’s a little hungry, only had her for a couple days. Any advice on getting her to eat. I attached a video of her incase anyone was curious.
If you’re not sure what species it is, it’s important to know because even if a jumper is small it doesn’t mean it’s young. You could show some pictures and I could attempt an ID. There are many reasons they might not be eating. Most likely case is just stress from moving into an enclosure. Give it a few more days and keep trying to feed.

justdreamaria

Arachnopeon
If you’re not sure what species it is, it’s important to know because even if a jumper is small it doesn’t mean it’s young. You could show some pictures and I could attempt an ID. There are many reasons they might not be eating. Most likely case is just stress from moving into an enclosure. Give it a few more days and keep trying to feed.

Attachments

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
It is a Habronattus species. Looks female. As adults, many get to about 6mm.

justdreamaria

Arachnopeon
Thank you, I’ve been trying to find out what species she was, should I just leave here be and try feeding her or should I let her go? I don’t want her to starve or be too stressed.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Thank you, I’ve been trying to find out what species she was, should I just leave here be and try feeding her or should I let her go? I don’t want her to starve or be too stressed.
If it’s a proper enclosure, they usually warm up to it after a week or so. If she doesn’t eat, you can always release her and she’ll find food outside.

justdreamaria

Arachnopeon
If it’s a proper enclosure, they usually warm up to it after a week or so. If she doesn’t eat, you can always release her and she’ll find food outside.
Thanks so much for replying, is there anyway for me to tell if she’s an adult or juvenile?

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Thanks so much for replying, is there anyway for me to tell if she’s an adult or juvenile?
Yes, take a picture of her underside. Preferably with flash. 0B31238C-E79F-4652-A2BB-670A618CE6BA.jpeg
If she’s an adult, there will be a visible epigynum. In this photo, this is an adult female Naphrys pulex. Habronattus epigyna look similar to this. It’s that red dot in the upper middle of the abdomen.