Caught in the act!!!!

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
I finally got pics of my G.pulchra messing around with her ping pong ball!!! The pics aren't great as she is a messy T and before anyone says anything about the water dish She constantly dumps it. One pick is from late night like 3am the other is the nest day at about 1pm. I see her ping pong ball moves nightly but this is a first catching her in the act. IMG_0199.JPG IMG_0201.JPG

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
"Teddy Bear" :p

Most of my spiders don't care about the ping pong balls, but the ones that do love them... or hate them, not sure. The AF N. coloratovillosus tears hers apart, and the AF A. chalcodes buries hers eventually.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Fascinating :)
I wonder what instincts prompt them to move that ball around. Object in the way? Object to be incorporated in hide/burrow?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
That spider needs a lot more substrate in its enclosure. That would be one horrendous fall from the top.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I wonder what instincts prompt them to move that ball around. Object in the way? Object to be incorporated in hide/burrow?
I would venture an educated guess that it's an object in the way. If prey comes along, the T needs the highest chance to grab it successfully to maximize survival odds.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, Thailand ping pong show you say? Pffff, Ladies and Gentlemans, boys and morons, lights off... enter the Theraphosidae :cigar:

I'm fascinated by the pure Hellas water dish patterns, btw :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That spider needs a lot more substrate in its enclosure. That would be one horrendous fall from the top.
Eh, not really. I mean, it's more than I'd offer, but it's well within the 2x dls limit that is parroted. I just keep mine 1x dls or less. "Horrendous" is a bit of a strong word to use, not like it's in an arboreal setup ;)

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Eh, not really. I mean, it's more than I'd offer, but it's well within the 2x dls limit that is parroted. I just keep mine 1x dls or less. "Horrendous" is a bit of a strong word to use, not like it's in an arboreal setup ;)
I parrot (I really like that word now!) that idea, but it really depends on how heavy the T is and whether or not it was built to survive falls, how spongy the substrate is, and a myriad of other variables. Ts like a GBB will be more likely to survive a fall than a Grammostola grossa, but it's not a good idea to risk a fall! Personally I'd just add more substrate for peace of mind.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I parrot (I really like that word now!) that idea, but it really depends on how heavy the T is and whether or not it was built to survive falls, how spongy the substrate is, and a myriad of other variables. Ts like a GBB will be more likely to survive a fall than a Grammostola grossa, but it's not a good idea to risk a fall! Personally I'd just add more substrate for peace of mind.
Yeah, for me it's definitely about peace of mind... and room for more spiders :p

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
That particular T had lots of sub in front but but it moved it all to the back of the enclosure and is due for a rehouse again. That is a hill going towards the back. But yes she needs more sub. lol I get pics of a t actually moving around a ping pong ball and get mostly sub complaints lol.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
The universal instinct to play ping pong. Can you honestly say you've ever walked by a ping pong table that had a paddle and ball sitting there and didn't want to pick it up and hit the ball?

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I think putting a ping pong ball into a T enclosure is funny as hell:D I'm totally trying this!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The universal instinct to play ping pong. Can you honestly say you've ever walked by a ping pong table that had a paddle and ball sitting there and didn't want to pick it up and hit the ball?
Well, since my ping pong balls always go wherever when i hit them, instead of where i want them to go...yes. Yes i can walk by those things, since things get dangerous when i pick up that paddle. :D

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
Or mabey Its jus t something to do . To roll it around for its own entertainment. Im wanting to give this a try now. imagine if two Ts were in there. ( Not that im nessesarily recomending it ) I tihnk hes just being playfull.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Well, Thailand ping pong show you say? Pffff, Ladies and Gentlemans, boys and morons, lights off... enter the Theraphosidae :cigar:

I'm fascinated by the pure Hellas water dish patterns, btw :)
I get them at an Asian market. They are little sauce dishes. They come in perfect sizes for Ts :smug:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I get them at an Asian market. They are little sauce dishes. They come in perfect sizes for Ts :smug:
Love those places, a funny mess where you can find everything from toilet paper to atomic nukes :-s

Colors reminds me of Greece :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Please god do not give Chris nuclear weapons.
Nah, no need for. I don't follow fashion. Today everyone own nukes: old good Kim, Israel 100+ pure Biblical Samson style, my choosy and quite annoying pillaging French neighbours, China, Brits, India, Pakistan, Iran working on that, Italy holding U.S nuke stuff, let alone my friend Donald with his "nuke bag".

Now to invent, on the other hand, a Internet "3. something" powerful enough to deliver strong doses of Ebola virus so fast just like the Drencrom, or Vellocet, or Synthemesc milk fall into a Droog throat just leaving a comment on a forum would be funny :-s