Caught a wild scorpion!

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
it doesnt look like any vittatus ive ever seen. sorry buddy but i have to disagree with you on that. vitattus has lateral lines. i would guess vaejovis of some sort.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
sorry, i accidentally read "moves like" as "most likely"

oops! :8o

Fausta

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a Paruroctonus boreus which looks much like it and is also very fast.
I will take a picture when she presents herself for one. It came from the Mojave Desert near Palm Springs.

bam10860

Arachnopeon
Babies anyone

My son caught a giant hairy scorpion in the Arizona dessert at Christmas time and we brought it home. Around the 28th of May a friend wanted to see it. I took her out in the garage where we keep it and it looked like it had a frayed burlap sack stuck on its back. I thought it had a disease, but the kids noticed it was moving and there were lots of little eyes. I was so disturbed by the sight and the knowledge that it was what looked like hundreds of babies that I couldn't sleep for two nights. I duct taped the top of the aquarium afraid they could climb out. On the 30th of May they fell off the mothers back. Now we have around 35 baby scorpions that need a home. If anyone is interested let me know. bam10860@comcast.net

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ahh finally fixed my computer..... Well it looks a lot like it belongs to the Vaejovis genus. :p The thing is mad it took down a large cricket, kept stinging it until it wouldnt move anymore, then proceded to eat starting with the crickets head lol. Today I found it under its water bowl. So since we aren't sure on what type of scorp this is. What are the chances of it being deadly as in like a very hot species. I only worry about things "might" kill me. As I have an emp scorpion which of course I don't even worry about its venom if I were to get stung. Thanks in advance!

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks, now I know not to panic. If I get stung. Also I noticed something weird. I thought that scorpions were like tarantula and had 4 book lungs or "2 pairs". This thing has 6 book lungs or "3 pairs". Does this vary from scorpion to scorpion? Or maybe those things I see aren't lungs at all?

Last edited:

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Actaully there are always eight of them, although it is sometimes difficult to see this in some species.

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah I notice that the Scorpion in the pics in ShaunHolder's post had 8 of the "white things" that I saw on the scorp I caught and that is why I thought they might not have been lungs since 8 would be a lot! Heh But yeah I was right the first time. :) I didn't get a good look so that is probably why I thought I only saw 6. I also noticed that his lungs have "brown bruising" sort of type deal. Kind of like the brown spot by his eyes. That got me kind of worried for him. Another question.... If I were to find another would beable to keep it with this one? Thanks in advance!