Caught a wild scorpion!

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow well i was about to walk out my front door and found a scorpion. I need to identify it. Right now its almost an inch long including tail. I live in Apple Valley in the highdesert in California. What kind of scorpions live in this area? Also on coming back in I found a huge Solifugid on the outside wall! Maybe I can get some video of the scorpion so it can be identified.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Be carefull, there is a good chance you found a Bark Scorpion Centruroides exilicauda, they have very potent venom. Grats on your finds, I look forward to a photo. :)

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Scorpiove,

A photograph would go a long way. Southeastern California into southern Nevada is the most diverse scorpion region in the US other than the Big Bend area in Texas. Both of these areas, according to Polis have between 8-10 species. Now if you were in Wyoming and asked this question it could only be one species...but you are not...Post a photo if you can.

John
];')

Last edited:

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cool

i live in newfoundland and there is no cool bugs here only pests.

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks everyone. Ok since my digital camera sucks I took these shots from the camcorder and digitized them.

For size reference the white keys in the top of hte pic are my keyboard. My keyboard has a spacebar thats pretty small in itself. Oh yeah he is carrying a small cricket in his mouth.:p Also I don't know if you can see it but he has what look like a dark side by his right eye, I have no idea what that is.

Last edited:

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah sorry about the quality of the pics, I'll do some experimenting to get a lighter picture because it is darker than its suppsoe to be. Thanks though :)

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
is it a really bright yellow, kinda almost see through in some parts? or is it orangish looking?

cause if its in cali, it may be the one i found on scorpion files, check that site out and look through the Smerinigurus ones

Wolvie

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Its not really a bright yellow these screen shots more accurately show the scorpions color.

This last pic shows best of all the color of the scorpion, as well as his "bruise" as I have dubbed it heh.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's hard to tell, but it really looks like the bark scorpions I find out here in the mountains in phoenix. The color is still hard to read with these photo's, but the Horizontal stripes at the end of each plate on the back looks to me like a tell tell sign of Centruroides exilicauda. It's pedipals and tail even match my own.

Is it more orange or yellow? The barks I have are very yellowish/orangish.

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The colors are pretty much just like those in the last pic. Not really all that bright. The scorpion isn't all that big either. But I did notice its palps are skinny unlike Smeringus mesaensis' which seems to be a little fatter.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wolvie56X said:
Smeringus mesaensis

http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/s_mesaensis3.jpg check that out, kinda looks like that to me, but the camera is kinda dark

Wolvie
I would agree, now if you want to catch a bunch more of these or other species in the area, here's what I would do. Get a few plastic garbage can lids and bury them upside down flush with the earth and cover them with a piece of plywood, I would put a hole in one corner of the wood and put a 5ft length of rope through the hole and have a knot on the side facing the ground. The reason for the rope is that even though this trap will catch scorps, you want to be able to yank off the plywood out of the reach of any snake that also may have sought refuge under it as well. You are so lucky!, I could set traps all I want and nothing interesting will ever stumble into them.

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
what are the chances of it being a Vaejovis waeringi The colors match up pretty good. Thanks for all the replies guys.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I am of the opinion that is of the Vajovid family...possibly Paruroctonus genus...at least that is what first comes to mind. It is too small (for an adult) to be S.mesaensis...plus they are found on and around sand dunes...from the pics I think you have posted elsewhere, your terrain where you live is not correct for S.mesaensis. It also could be a Vaejovis spp...my first guess on the genus is still Paruroctonus spp.

John
];')

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Scorpiove said:
what are the chances of it being a Vaejovis waeringi The colors match up pretty good. Thanks for all the replies guys.
You may be right, after looking at all the photos, the pedipalps are more of a match as well as coloring.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That scorpion is FAST!!, what did you take the video with?, and how did you manage to catch this thing in the first place?.

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah he is fast. I used a camcorder thats 10 years old, and I plugged it into my videocapture card. With the camcorder I'm actually able to see more detail than with my digital camer that has no macro function.

Edit: He was crawling on the wall in the entry way. scooped him up with some paper into a slippery glass bowl. :D

Last edited:

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
WHEW! forget the id, that thing is FAST! its like the friggn Flash or somethin! it has super powers!