Caught a parakeet outside...

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
So after a couple mile run with my girlfriend she went outside to walk her dog. She ran back to the house and told me to come quick. There was a parakeet outside on my Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro. A parakeet? Yes, you heard correctly. A green "budgie" with a red tag around its foot. I tried to catch it gently with my hands but no luck, it flew into a tree. This is when I had enough time to go inside and get my extended butterfly net. I tried to get it down from the tree and it flew into another tree. At this point, a neighbors cat has been stalking it. I ran to the next tree with the net the same time as the cat was. Luckily I scooped the bird into the net unharmed. There's no way I would have let that cat take the bird.

The neighbors saw me doing this and one of them said "My daughter just caught the bird but we let it go because it bit her, we don't know who's it is". So with the cat stalking the poor thing and being squeezed by small children I took charge. I took the parakeet out of the net and it flew around my house. The thing was super scared. It landed above my blind and just perched there. Being 8:45pm, there was not any local pet store open and I posted in local FaceBook groups to see if anyone lost the bird. No responses. Then I take the 10 minute drive to Walmart, get it a cage, toys, food, and water dish.

The bird is doing fine in the temporary setup, but is still very scared and is breathing heavy. It's pretty dope that I got to experience this and glad I saved it from a potential death from an animal. Now my question is this; what should I do with it? Would a pet store take it? Should I keep the post on FaceBook? Should I keep it for myself? I never was a bird person but the thing is beautiful. I also don't know how messy or loud it will become as well. I know I'd have to get a larger cage for sure. Thanks for listening and let me know your thoughts. If you have an Instagram and want to check out my story of the events last night, check out @plantbasedjimbone's story on IG.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
My family has actually found two exotic birds. The first was a cockatiel that my dad found stuck in a fence in the middle of a midwest winter. It hadn't been out for long as it would've been dead. We named him Alex and we couldn't find his owner despite posting flyers (early 90's). Ended up having him for a decade before we gave him to a lady with an aviary and a group of cockatiels.

The second was a budgie we caught on our property during the summer. We actually found her owner a few days later.

I'm not the biggest bird person TBH. I like them, but they don't like me lol. Having said that, it was pleasure to interact with Alex for all those years, even though he only let my dad hold him. He still enjoyed being pet around the neck and playing with us using his bells. Hopefully one day I'll be able to get and raise a parrot or corvid as a companion.

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
Birds can be a lot of work, but they can also be really fun interactive pets. I would do some research into budgies and their care, and see if it's something you are interested in. If anyone says the bird is theirs, make them prove it somehow (show the set up, pictures with the bird etc.) Since I have seen people use these found pet reports to get a free animal. I personally avoid general pet stores, since they care for their animals pretty badly. I might look at a local bird store or bird rescue, since they will be able to care for it a lot better.

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
Cool story. I was amazed to see parakeets swarming around the trees in Vondelpark Amsterdam. Didn't even know they could survive there.
They're everywhere down here.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Im texting my brothher who is a long time bird keeper about what all it involves keeping it long term shhould you not find its owner and decide to keep it. Ill let you know what he says, I believe he has two or three parakeets.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
My bro said above else they require loads of attention and are extremely social creatures and you will need to be prepared to be able to give them all that interaction. He also said he believes there are some bird forums that may be able to assist

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
My bro said above else they require loads of attention and are extremely social creatures and you will need to be prepared to be able to give them all that interaction. He also said he believes there are some bird forums that may be able to assist
I agree! A couple friends of mine have had birds, and they had them out and about almost constantly, as well as having a lot of simulation and interactive stuff in their cage :)

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
Budgies are just about the complete opposite of tarantulas. One thing you can do for it is go on YouTube and look for Budgie Sounds and Happy Budgerigars. I used to play those for mine for at least an hour a day.
Also screw Facebook, try putting up a "Found Budgie" sign where the most people in your neighborhood will see it.
Best of luck finding the owner and reading up on the bird; I really wish I still had mine. Any writing on tge tag?

basin79

ArachnoGod
If there's a ring on the leg there's a way to find the owner hopefully.

I have a Senegal parrot called Pandora and I 100% know she'd be distraught without me and me with her.

Sadly if a parrot gets outside they usually panic as it's a lot to take in. They fly and fly and within a few seconds they're gone. They have no idea where they are. Everything is strsnge.

Obviously I nor you know the circumstances so thank you for going above and beyond firstly. Secondly keep your eyes and ears peeled. If Pandora happened to get out I'd make sure I'd get that information out.

Now on the other hand someone might well have just left their door open on purpose. Parrots aren't the easiest to live with.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I’ve got a couple of parrots and echo they are extremely social animals that do best when they have time out of the cage to interact with their owner.

If you need to disposition it contact a local aviary vet and they may take it or they have rescue group contact info specific to birds. Humane Society is also another resource as long as they have a no-kill policy.

The neighbor is an idiot.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Thanks for the replies! So I checked the tag on the leg and it ends in 9974, I'm trying to figure out the rest of the number but it is hard to see. I'll get it.

It's a red tag is on the left leg.

I'm going to make flyers and put them around town and see what I come up with. If not, I'm thinking the semi-local bird sanctuary is the way to go?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Update: Signs have been placed and nobody is contacting us. My girlfriend fell in love with the bird and decided to keep her. Got a big ole cage and everything.

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
Update: Signs have been placed and nobody is contacting us. My girlfriend fell in love with the bird and decided to keep her. Got a big ole cage and everything.
I'm glad everything worked out! Would you mind attaching some photos? I love seeing cute birds :D

Europus Gigantus

Arachnopeon
Parakeets are so much easier than any other bird. I have had a few through the years. The best one I had was after college, and settled down long enough to properly bond with it. With a new bird, it takes
a few weeks, but if you slowly get closer to it, eventually it will hop on your finger, then learn to give a kiss, ride on your shoulder, etc. So much fun, and a PARAKEET (this does not apply to the other parrots!!!) is fairly quiet and happy to play by themselves. Just beware of other pets and open doors...have fun!