caught 2 black widows near my porch...

yeR_NarKoTiK

Arachnopeon
and they had an eggsac which i had to despose of :( my mommy doesn't want more spiders around the house heh. but i did happen to catch 2 adults... up until a few weeks ago, i believed the male of the species looked somewhat like a daddy long legs and the female was what made it so recognizable... but i had someone that was quite knowledgable of spiders tell me that they look alike in many ways (black with the red hourglass, but smaller)... well the ones i happened to catch are both pretty big, bigger of the two is probably 1 3/4 from tip of front legs to tip of her back legs while shes hangin on her web, and the other is a little over an inch and 1/4.

can anyone clear this up and tell me if i may have a male AND a female, or maybe a lesbian couple/female webmates? (just joking around)

i would take a few pictures of them but the jars i have them in, plus the crappy quality camera i have would make me show you a black blotch near a glare of brightness :(

thanks in advance

Stormcrow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You'll find the male quite distinct with the boxing glove pedipalps and coloration-wise can be similar to a juvenile female. Females of course lose their splashy coloration as they approached adulthood slowly fading into their solid (or near-solid) black or brown uniformity with each successive moult. I don't have a camera but there is a thread in this forum, by Metalallic Dragon Boy? or someone with an excellent select pics of both typical juvenile L.mactans and L.hesperus. Be sure to provide sticks or twigs for them to build their webs upon and around, but not too large as to allow the Widows to build their silk lair too close to the lids because with each feeding it will cause uninviting destruction of the cobweb. Feed them crickets or beetles or any various insect of relative size, be wary of wild caught insects as they may bear chemical toxins (insecticides etc). These spiders grow like grass right before your eyes. Oh yeah, be careful, these arachnids are highly toxic and medically significant. Enough so as to require a hospital visit if bitten. No need to fear, for these make a most fascinating satisfactory pet for observation and care. Definitely an obvious personal favorite and requires respect.

yeR_NarKoTiK

Arachnopeon
thanks! i did a lot of research on these guys my freshman year and had a beautiful specimen and some juveniles. she had the best of care and food... got nice and fat... had her for 3 weeks i believe, and then she had to be evicted because she laid an eggsac. its so COOL to watch them make it! i didnt know what she was doing at first and then i realized and was like "ut oh... moms givin you the boot as soon as she sees that thing". i know my mom wont let me keep these beauties for long because i just made room for 2 tarantula spiderlings, 2 is enough in this house she says *giggles* glad she didnt count the daddy long legs lol. anyway thanks again!

Stormcrow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Anytime, you are most welcome Narcotik and hope you enjoy the arachnoculture! :)

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
That is cool! At least you found some!

It has taken me over a month to locate one widow spider!!! My husband found her actually, and that is the ONLY one I have seen this year. She was on the fence, w/ her web inside a leaf :)

I can't decide to get her and take her inside w/ the T's, or leave her be!

Stormcrow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tough choice, she is beneficial as biological pest control and yet Black Widows make amazing pets.