Catterpillar ID please

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
My daughter found this on the sidewalk. From what I've been able to find out, it IS a caterpillar, because it has six front true walking legs, and four pairs of the lesser legs on the abdomen. Usually I can just do a little internet research and figure out what a caterpillar is, but not with this one. If you can also tell me what it eats that would be great. That way I can release it near or on some food.

caterpillar.jpg

Last edited:

billrogers

Arachnoknight
That looks like a Hesperiidae species to me, but I'm not sure about the specific species. If it was on a sidewalk, chances are, one of two things is happening. It probably has finished feeding and is wandering and looking for somewhere to pupate. It could also be a species that feeds on grasses and similar plants. Either way, the best course of action, imo, would be to release it back into a similar habitat where you found it (unless you want to keep it in which case you need to find out the species so you can feed it).

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
That looks like a Hesperiidae species to me, but I'm not sure about the specific species. If it was on a sidewalk, chances are, one of two things is happening. It probably has finished feeding and is wandering and looking for somewhere to pupate. It could also be a species that feeds on grasses and similar plants. Either way, the best course of action, imo, would be to release it back into a similar habitat where you found it (unless you want to keep it in which case you need to find out the species so you can feed it).
Thank you for the reply. I think we'll just let it go in our yard.

AgnO

Arachnopeon
Uhm I'm pretty sure that's not a caterpillar but a beetle larvae or what's also called a grub. Can't notice the lesser legs from the picture but judging from its size and structure, you got yourself a yet to be born beetle there!

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
That's what I told my wife when she first sent a picture of it to me. Upon further observation I realized it was actually a caterpillar. Unless grub can have 4 pairs of the lesser legs, which they can't from what I understand. Hey, maybe my daughter discovered a new species! :)

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
I think you're right. Thank you! It's definitely more similar than anything I've been able to find, and that would explain why it was found on the ground. It even has the dots on the side.