Cats & litterboxes

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have two bathrooms and a litter box in each bathroom.

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bathroom, or any place that is accessible 24/7 without carpet. Easier to clean up!

odiakkoh

Arachnosquire
How big are your bathrooms? It wouldn't fit in ours without it getting in the way.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
In small linen-style closet, so when guests are over, we can just close the door.

Right now it's in a closet next to our front door. Let's just say I'm extremely sensitive to smells, so if I can smell it, I freak out and must clean it immediately. It's a "gift" that two pregnancies gave me...... super-smelling powers, lol.

/edit- our last place was a 3-bedroom, 2.5 bathroom townhouse. We kept the litter box inside the half-bathroom, and it wound up being 100% the cat's bathroom as a result, NO one used it, it was strictly for the litter box.
My mother keeps her litter boxes in the finished basement, and one in the upstairs bathroom under the cabinet (which has no door, it's seperate from the sink area's cabinet), and has a curtain across it so cats can go in, but you don't see it.
My Grandmother keeps HER litter boxes in a weird table/litter box combo right in the living room. It looks like an end table, but it has a hole in the bottom of it and a litter box is stored inside it.
it looks like this:
http://www.vendio.com/stores/petsandpurses/item?lid=3569018&source=Vendio:Google Product Search

Last edited:

Bjamin

Arachnosquire
I have 2 cats that my gf moved in with me they go outside I refuse to have a cat that craps in the house.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cats

I have one, its in the main room of my apartment (no where else to put it) I use the arm and hammer cat litter, that way it doesn't stink, scooping every day helps too.

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
I have an exta bathroom and I keep the litter box in the bath tub. That way, any litter that gets kicked out or any mistakes that the cat makes can be easily washed down the drain. Also, I use the flushable litter made from corn cob stuff. It is the best litter in the world!!!

odiakkoh

Arachnosquire
Also, I use the flushable litter made from corn cob stuff. It is the best litter in the world!!!
Haha I got that litter once when one of my boys had neuter complications and we were told to keep the clay litter away from him. He showed me his dislike for them by using pillows as his new litterbox. He never went out of the litterbox after I switched it back.

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Litter box used to be in the laundry room in my old house, in this house its in the bathroom that has a neat lil space behind the door.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
We've always used the crystal stuff with no issues. I DO have a problem with our male cat using the rabbit's litter box (filled with either yesterdays news or carefresh) every so often. It pisses me off because then the rabbit won't use his litter box afterwards. it got to where now I just put carefresh on the entire bottom of the rabbit cage (it's one of those huge C&C cube cages with no top on it. Honestly now it feels like a massive guinea pig cage with bedding in it)

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
odiakkoh, I have had cats for all of my life and I have been through many different type of cat litters. The trick to getting a cat to use any type of litter is to introduce it slowly. The new litter must be mixed into the old litter at a slow pace (at the very least a week) with each day adding more of the new cat litter. They need to get used to the new smell and feel of the litter on their toes! If you switch real quick (I am guessing this is what you had to do at the time) then they may not take to it.
But yeah, I like the corn cob stuff because:

It can be flushed.
It clumps better than any litter I have tried.
It is way less dusty than clay litter.
It is made from the remains of corn, and clay liltter is mined from the earth.
It biodegrades unlike clay litter.
It covers the smell of poop and urin better than most litters.
One bag lasts a long time.

I have used the brands "Nature's Miracle" and "World's Best Cat Litter". After a while, Natures leaves a film behind, but it is still good. Worlds is better, but they have 2 types, the normal and the multi-cat. Both are the same, the "mulit-cat" one is just marketing, buy the cheaper normal one.

Toirtis

Arachnobaron
The only problem with the corn cob litter is if anything is in a position to ingest it....it breaks down very slowly, forms glutinous boluses that will conglomerate easily, and can cause serious blockages in most animals if ingested. I would be somewhat cautious on flushing it, for that reason also.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yeah, the corn based stuff doesn't work in this house because our prairie dogs and the rabbit will try breaking into the litter box and eating it. Which, is pretty gross........

odiakkoh

Arachnosquire
Thanks Acro but if I've owned cats long enough to know how to switch litters, foods, etc. You can't do a gradual switch with unexpected circumstances though and that's the only time I would use anything but clay litter.

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
Toirtis and pouchedrat,
Good thing cats don't eat it. But yeah, I wouldn't suggest using it with anything but cats and I don't think they market it to other animals.

odiakkoh,
Yeah, neither of us know our cat keeping history and I figured you had to switch it fast. As for the rest, I was just giving you the low down incase you were new to keeping kitties. As for the litter, it was a suggestion that works best for me in the location that I keep my litter box. (it is also the best litter I have tried and I like to share positive experiences)

But adding to locations, my uncle keeps his litter box in the fireplace! They move it out when they want to have a fire then scoop and vacuum out all the ashes before they put the box back.