Caterpillers

bluephosi

Arachnopeon
Throughout my walks through the forest I occasionally take snap shots of anything that catches my eye whether it be bugs or wildlife etc. After being on this site for a bit ive discovered people have the same interest. Anyway here is some pics of a caterpiller nest.
Do spiders eat caterpillers?

Attachments

Pssh

Arachnoknight
Some caterpillars are very toxic. Dont feed your pets any until you know exactly what they are and if they are okay to feed. Those may also deliver a sting or the hairs may get stuck in your skin. Tread carefully.

bluephosi

Arachnopeon
Some caterpillars are very toxic. Dont feed your pets any until you know exactly what they are and if they are okay to feed. Those may also deliver a sting or the hairs may get stuck in your skin. Tread carefully.
i didn't know they could be dangerous.hmmm. thanks.

Toogledoo

Arachnoknight
Yeah, I've read that some of them are too. Those pictures are still pretty cool!

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There are similar caterpillars in my area, and the hairs make you itch or break out in a rash. They also make asthma worse. If you dont touch them you are fine, and the reaction is different for everyone.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks like a western tent moth caterpillar (Malacasoma californicum) colony to me.
I believe that these guys are harmless if used as feeders, other than the fact that a lot of animals don't like the fuzziness. I know for sure that mantid keepers have used them as feeders.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like a western tent moth caterpillar (Malacasoma californicum) colony to me.
I believe that these guys are harmless if used as feeders, other than the fact that a lot of animals don't like the fuzziness. I know for sure that mantid keepers have used them as feeders.
We called them "bagworms" as kids. Always destroyed their nests whenever we could, because they ate up our gardens and trees and made our area look like hell.