Caterpillar Hunter Eating

aaandyyy5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Heres the caterpillar hunter I posted earlier chomping on a larvae of some kind of beetle.

Last edited:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
way cool! ive got the adult of that ssp.(2) they are really beautiful when they pupate, and man can they eat,ive tried raising the larvas of this ssp. C.scrutator with no luck,but i will try again,enjoy!:drool:

aaandyyy5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What exactly do they turn into? Your right about the eating thing, they eat until they can hardly move. Lol.

Thanks
Andy

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
they turn into a 1"-2" metallic green/blue predatory beetle called the fiery searcher(colosoma scrutator) very beautiful:clap: when adults they can live up to 4yrs,they need to burrow under the substate(semimoist) to pupate, they make a little pocket(pupate cell)there they will pupate,when they are adults they emit this foul nasty smell ;P when they are scared,and i'll tell ya it will make ya sick,i know it makes me sick so i don't mess with mine.other than that an AWSEOME BEETLE:clap:

aaandyyy5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey. Sounds like a very cool beetle....besides the stinking part. How long does it take about, for it to pupate?

Thanks
Andy

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i never got my larvas to pupate,for some reason they ate and ate.........and that was it dead:( other people i know had the same problem,i got my adults when they where matured already, but i think you can do it:clap: it's a good experiment,ive raised the fiery hunter(smaller ssp.c.callidum)with no problem at all from pupae to adult it took about 4weeks,i'm assuming yours would be around that time,maybe sooner. the larvas eat and grow pretty fast,so be prepared:D

aaandyyy5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Alright. Hopefully he doesn't poop out on me. Im curious to see the process. Thanks for the info.

Andy