Catching Wild Spiders

SpiderSling2017

Arachnopeon
Just curious to see if anyone goes out to catch wild spiders and what they caught Tempted to try it myself, although most likely to find a Harvestman (daddy long legs spider) as it's the most common in Britain :)

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sure, all the time! Here is Southern California we have a lot of spiders available. Some that I've caught and kept successfully include tarantulas, wolf spiders, black widows, brown widows, green lynx spiders, assorted jumping spiders, yellow sac spiders, *Argiope sp.* orb weavers (*A. trifasciata* and *A. argentata* - other orb weavers, including *Araneus sp.* and *Eriophora sp.* wouldn't web in captivity so I released them), "flatties" (*Selenops sp.*), fishing spiders (*Trechalea gertschi*, not *Dolomedes*), *Kukulcania sp.*, and lot of others. Most of our local spiders seem to do pretty well in captivity, though the orb weavers are a little tricky. They need lots of space and attachment points plus a bit of a cross breeze in order to web properly, and they can also be a bit picky in terms of what they'll eat. Mine didn't seem to like crickets - but they loved moths and flies.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Fairly frequently, any season of the year. A lot of it depends on what I'm wanting to catch that day though. If I have a couple species in mind, I'll read up on some of their biology and try to find a suitable habitat for them nearby. There are always other things to catch in the area too, so any extra species are a bonus :) Some days I'll just go out with no species in particular and see what turns up though.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
When the weather is warm, I love catching spiders. I still need to find Phidippus purpuratus. They are said to live in the state I'm in which is CT. For the last 2 years I've been trying to find them but no luck yet!

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Catching spiders is fun for young and old.

Tigrosa

Arachnosquire
Yessss! I love me some lycosidae and pisauridae, which are both hard to find for sale in captivity.

I also prefer collecting myself rather than buying because for myself, I just collect what I need. By putting money into a distributor, you're incentivizing them to go and collect a few thousand more, and then we dont have spiders anymore. :p

I also have three species of spider that I collected inside my house.

The wolf

Arachnolord
I'm in the uk and I've spent my life catching wild creatures I just got into spiders though and within two weeks I have two jumping spiders,a tengernaria atrica(with egg sac)+domestica,an amaurobius similus(gravid?),a trochosa tericola with egg sac,a wolf spider and a widow spider which might even be steadota nobilis and they're just my spiders I love catching Arthropods it's eccentialy my life. Where about do you live? I've actually been looking for a harvestman myself and have just found one

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
I no longer catch the little ones as I find that I enjoy seeing them in their natural environment. Sometimes that environment is my kitchen, so I guess I have a great big enclosure for them.

The wolf

Arachnolord
I have an extremely small jumping spider and I think s/he is just great very active and ver small at 1mm at most s/he's still my favourite.

grimmjowls

Arachnoknight
As with everyone above, I enjoy doing it as well. I've successfully kept an orbweaver in a 32 oz tall deli cup, and she happily made a web and lived for fairly long and even laid her eggs with me, eventually passing from what a believe old age.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I used to keep them, bit I've since stopped. This year I'm starting up again and am going to keep a few. The only thing that turned me off of them was their short lifespan, but I'm going to try breeding this time around!