pinchythescorp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
does any one now if i could catch a scorpion around the newcastle area
newcastle N.S.W australia

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm almost certain there are populations spread across aussie, but one thing that sticks out in my head is someone saying something about the northern half being sparse in them, but that could have been referring to a single species... you need to invest in a uv light and make some night trips, as scorps are nocturnal.

pinchythescorp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah but i dont even know if there are any scorpions around the the place i live and i dont want to go walking around the bush at night with brown snakes and red belly black snakes in the area

pinchythescorp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i would be great if someone told me if there are any scorpions around the newcastle area?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You need to do some google work... and finding scorpions at night is how it's done, if you don't want to go out than don't what can I say.

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
if you go out during the day and flip rocks you'll have a decent chance of finding something, but if the scorpions in your area are burrowers, then your chances of spotting one during the day is slim to none...go out early evenings if thats the case...

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wear high rubber boots and bring a flashlight?????? Common sense will do.

Scarp172

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No. You definately need something stronger and not woven like cloth. Snake boots, thick hip-waders, pac-boots, anything thick and rubber that goes up to about your knee.

Charlie_Scorp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Go to snakeboots.com or some ozzie equivellant. They have boots, snake guards that cover you up to your knee and chaps that cover you up to waist. Its a small investment if you're going to go out hunting at night. I used them in Arizon and New Mexico if I was snake hunting off the roads at night. Luckily they never got 'used' but knowing you have them is nice....especially with brown snakes!

Arachno Kid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey, what if you didnt go look for them, instead you made a trench to catch them in or something?

Supplies needed
1-shovel
1-roll of smooth plastic tarp
1- Elbow grease

Instructions

Dig a trench however deep you need it in a good area were you think there are scorps. The trench has to be atleast 12 inches deep and very.very.very steep so they cannot climb up the tarp.

next get the tarp and push it into the hole so it lines it all the way around the hole,then grab the edges and push them onto the ground and cover them with a thin layer of dirt so the critters dont crawl under it istead of in it.

Tada, remember to check it every day you will be sure to get something in it :) that gos for T's Rare bettles Scorps ETC

plus you might want to place a couple of pieces of plywood around it so you attract some creepy crawlys

There you go

that or dig pitfalls :D

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a bucket????? I don't understand teh reasoning behind that. The tarp is so that way the bug collapses into the hole under it's own weight on the tarp. I don't see what a bucket had to do what anything.

Arachno Kid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea but you would have to pack the dirt level around the bucket but the problem with that is if you were to get more then one scorp you would definatly find one dead

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
but brown snakes come out and hunt in the evening and early mornings
well then keep your eyes open and wear thick boots...your just going to have to use some precautions here, you cant let a few snakes scare you from going out and having some fun...