Catching Scolopendra...

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I've decided that I'm going to be trying my hand at catching a few Scolopendra that are native to my state (Colorado) when it starts to warm up. Now, I'm sure that catching wild pedes is alot different then manipulating the subspinipes I have when it comes to cleaning out the enclosures...

I was thinking about posting this in the field trip section, but I thought that maybe it'd fit better here. So, without further adeu, how does one go about actually catching a pede that can get 6 inches long and inflict a heckuva bite on the person trying to snag them?

Also, is there a set of tools or anything that'd come in handy when I go out looking for my Pedes??? I've got a pair of 8'' tweezers and a pair of hemostats...

And last but not least, if anyone is from Colorado, where would you recommend I go to have my best luck?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I carry around a little backpack with 2 or 3 Solo containers. When I find one, I try not to panic. I get out a container (hopefully one that doesn't have another bug in it I found a few minutes before). I try to place containers in the pack in a way that I'm pretty sure to get an empty container. I usually use the top to flip them in while just trying to get them to crawl in. I carry tweezers, a hemostat, a chopstick and a pocket knife. I have so many pedes, I haven't gone looking around lately. I try to shade the backpack with my body so they don't fry while I'm walking around. Ha, I think Caco just grabs them with his hands. I grabbed a big Scolopendra heros heros behind it's head while it was crossing the road in W TX once. I won't do that again, maybe only in an emergency. I had a hard time peeling all those legs off my arm. It was a big old dark orange, rusty-red one that looked like it had been around a while.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
bury a coffee can till the open end is flush with the ground lay a flat rock over it and check it tomorrow

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Alrighty, thanks for the info. Haha, I can see where that large heros could have caused a predictament Gala! I think I may have been wigging out, hoping that it didn't decide to make it's next meal my arm or fingers! Haha, looking forward to this!