Catch of the day from Oklahoma - and it's a GOOD one

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Crotalus Atrox bayybeeee! Was sunning himself on a side road in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge - scurried into cover when I approached him to get some pics

My first wild rattlesnake - . He's just a lil guy(or gal), maybe a foot an a half,(perfect manageable size for a first encounter if you ask me) and just a couple of rattle segments - but he buzzed up a storm for me -

I was psyched - still am actually

markface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
very cool find ! if the size you stated is right , and judging by the rattles i can just see under it , i'd say it's a yearling .

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
I'd prefer to work with the larger ones rather than the smaller ones if I were in a "have to" situation, for a couple of different reasons.

Beautiful snake though. Did you bring it home?

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Was from the wildlife refuge so couldnt take him home.

I live in an apartment and occasionally folks come by to spray or do maintainence. Just a hunch, but I dont think it would go over well with the leasing office if they found out I was keeping a rattlesnake on the premises

That doesnt mean I wouldnt be awful tempted if I ever find one not in a protected area.

Thing is, everyone I work with thinks I'm nuts just for having gotten out of the car to photograph it.

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge - just north of Lawton/Ft Sill Oklahoma

Best kept little secret in the US of A if you ask me

More critters than anywhere I've been except Yellowstone - gorgeous scenery, GREAT biking and climbing, and zero crowds

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Gorgeous and great picture. I was gonna comment but felt I am probably being a bad influence. J/J ;)

Anyways, the last thing anyone wants is a potential crisis where there weren't one I mean with your residency. IMO, great call.

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Crisis with my residency?

I dont understand - Whatchew talkin bout Willis?

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Never mind. I get it - referring to my landlord.

Excuse me please. I had a side order of stupid with my dinner