cat-proofing?

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Do any of you have cats? If so, how do you deter the cat from ummm, being curious, about your T's and knocking the tank off of where ever it may be?
I was thinking about that, we have two cats here, one is seventeen pounds, and I am really hoping they dont give me a hard time once my kid gets his tarantula.

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
We have one cat walking around here, and she doesn't even care if you let the T walk in front of him. Hope your cats aren't different...

Ðennis

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The way I broke my cat of bothering the cages was to sit by them with a water gun. Every time he went near he got wet. After about a week It worked like a charm!

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by rapunzel
Do any of you have cats? If so, how do you deter the cat from ummm, being curious, about your T's and knocking the tank off of where ever it may be?
I was thinking about that, we have two cats here, one is seventeen pounds, and I am really hoping they dont give me a hard time once my kid gets his tarantula.
I have found my cats don't have much interest in the tarantulas. They're much more interested in the things tarantulas eat! But I have heard of tragedies resulting from cats that knocked over a tarantula vivarium from a high shelf. I'd make sure the vivarium is either heavy enough that a cat can't dislodge it, or secured somehow if it's on a shelf high up. In addition, I'd make sure the screen lid (if there is one) is strong enough to bear a cat's weight (or else place the vivarium somewhere the cat can't sit on it). I haven't noticed this being a problem with my tarantula vivaria, but I've caught both our cats sitting on top of our snake vivaria, once with near-disastrous consequences!

Joy

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cats

I once saw my cat looking at my rose hair when I had the cage down for cleaning. I was kind of curios of what he would do do I just watched.

He sat there looking at the T for a while and then got a little closer to take a sniff or something. Not aggressive or even playfull, just curios.

Then my rosie moved and I have never seen an animal jump so high in my life! I laughed so hard I thought I was gonna puke.

My wife got a kick out of that one too! Cat wont go near my tarantulas now. Whenever I get the cages down he runs to the other room.

-Charlie

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Like Joy's cat, mine are mainly interested in the crix. Unfortunately I made the mistake of keeping my crix in various sizes of petpals. (according to the size of the crix of course)
now my cats just assume that each and every petpal enclosure must be "bursting with chirpy-jumping crickety goodness".
The good thing is that my bugs have their own room. Whenever the cats know I'm headed downstairs to the bug room they race me to the door (clearly trying to trip me on the stairs with murder in their eyes) and try their darndest to slip in the "cricket" room. We occasionaly toss them a cricket or two so it's not such torture on their poor souls. LOL! =D

Atrax

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi,
All my t's are kept in a seperate room. Not because I'm afraid something will happen, rather, I live in a very drafty, older house. Keeping the t's in their own room, allows me to control the temp better.

Joy,
You have a snake? What kind?
Peace,
Gillian

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my cats dont seem to give a hoot about the spiders.....but like most people before me said.....they are MUCH more interested in the spider food!!!

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree cats don't seem to have much intrest in spiders.
but like crickets because they move faster.
but with a 17lb cat i would have to say put the spider up high.:}
i don't think a cat that big is going to work that hard to get a spider.espeicialy if it's a male cat.lol:D :}

Joy

Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian

Joy,
You have a snake? What kind?
Peace,
Gillian
3 of them! 1 ball python, 1 red albino corn, and 1 white-sided black rat.

Joy

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Joy,
Cool! I had a Candy Cane Corn and a Red Albino corn, when I was in Canada. (they were seized with my Beardie) :( Does your Ball Python eat all year round?
Peace,
Gillian

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Joy
3 of them! 1 ball python, 1 red albino corn, and 1 white-sided black rat.

Joy
Joy, do you keep other reptiles as well?
Ed

Joy

Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
Joy,
Cool! I had a Candy Cane Corn and a Red Albino corn, when I was in Canada. (they were seized with my Beardie) :( Does your Ball Python eat all year round?
Peace,
Gillian
Yes, but she's not fully grown yet (only 2 1/2' long and 2 1/2-3" diameter at her widest), so that might be a factor.

Ed, the only other herp I keep is the anole my daughter saved from becoming the piece de resistance for my P. pulcher!

Joy

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I left my spider cage up on the table in my room once... The door was left open accidentally... I walk in and find the tank on the ground, the cats on the table and my spider with it's abdomen squished. :( :mad:

They were interested in the crickets. :mad: