Cat Experts, I Need Your Help!!

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
My cat, Sophie, has developed a pea sized, bald bump on her back, and also has a couple of thinning patches of fur on her belly, not sure if the two issues are related or not.
I'm more concerned about the bump on her back right now, it's much more noticeable.

Here are a couple pictures of the bump on the back:
PoorSophie#1.JPG

PoorSophie#1.JPG

Does anybody know what this is? Is it ringworm? I'm really hoping it's not something life threatening, I've had her for over 11 years now, would break my heart if we had to put her down. :(

Attachments

Kymura

Arachnoknight
Had a kitty with something similar. Turns out in my case it was a benign mast cell tumor. They did a needle aspiration biopsy and it was benign we just left to be there. If possible I'd get it looked at. Could be anything. But it doesn't look like ringworm. Ringworm is a fungal infection of the skin.

Last edited:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Had a kitty with something similar. Turns out in my case it was a benign mass cell tumor. They did a needle aspiration biopsy and it was benign we just left to be there. If possible I'd get it looked at. Could be anything. But it doesn't look like ringworm. Ringworm is a fungal infection of the skin.
This ^^^ Dogs get them also.
Oh man, I really hope it's not a tumor, or that it's at least a benign one. Sadly, we don't really have the money to take her to the vet right now, does it look bad? She's acting normal, if it was serious would she act like she's in pain?

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate the help.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Oh man, I really hope it's not a tumor, or that it's at least a benign one. Sadly, we don't really have the money to take her to the vet right now, does it look bad? She's acting normal, if it was serious would she act like she's in pain?

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate the help.
It's absolutely not ringworm. Ringworm is a weirdly flat ring on the skin. This does like a benign mast cell. When you get the money take her in to get tested. That way you'll know for sure. Is she spayed?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
It's absolutely not ringworm. Ringworm is a weirdly flat ring on the skin. This does like a benign mast cell. When you get the money take her in to get tested. That way you'll know for sure. Is she spayed?
OK, will definitely have to look into getting her to a vet then. No she's not spayed, she just got out of heat actually.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Yeah the reason I asked is that at 11 and unspayed, her bald spots might represent a hormonal issue.
And I think it would depend on her personality if she showed whether or not she's in pain.
I once had two orange tigers. Bubba let the whole block know if something was wrong. Pierre, on the other hand, was the stoic type.
I'm crossing my fingers everything's good with your kitty.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Yeah the reason I asked is that at 11 and unspayed, her bald spots might represent a hormonal issue.
And I think it would depend on her personality if she showed whether or not she's in pain.
I once had two orange tigers. Bubba let the whole block know if something was wrong. Pierre, on the other hand, was the stoic type.
I'm crossing my fingers everything's good with your kitty.
I figured as much, she was grooming those spots a lot when she was in heat. We are in the process of looking for a new place right now, once we are finished moving and everything we are probably going to get her spayed, and try to get a vet to look at the growth on her back.

Thank you very much for the help, hopefully all will be well and it's just a benign mast cell at most.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
I had a dog with that. (Also named Sophie). Turned out to be benign in her case, but please have a vet check it just to be sure.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I figured as much, she was grooming those spots a lot when she was in heat. We are in the process of looking for a new place right now, once we are finished moving and everything we are probably going to get her spayed, and try to get a vet to look at the growth on her back.

Thank you very much for the help, hopefully all will be well and it's just a benign mast cell at most.
Keep us updated about your kitty.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I had a dog with that. (Also named Sophie). Turned out to be benign in her case, but please have a vet check it just to be sure.
Huh, what a coincidence! :D Hopefully it turns out to be benign like your dog's was, is there any visible difference between benign tumors and malignant ones?

Keep us updated about your kitty.
Will do, thanks for all the help!

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Huh, what a coincidence! :D Hopefully it turns out to be benign like your dog's was, is there any visible difference between benign tumors and malignant ones?
I don't know. I have no experience with malignant tumors, sorry. I hope your Sophie's tumor is also benign.
If your willing to travel, often small town vets are significantly cheaper.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Just wondering, why haven't you got her spayed? Not spaying a cat increases the risk mammary, ovarian and uterine cancer, and can make for quite the unhappy kitty.

Anyway, hope she's ok, and you get the money to get it checked on soon - better sooner rather than later IMO, we can speculate as much as we like, but none of us are veterinarians.

There is a member on here whose Mum is a vet, maybe send him the pic (i will find his username for you if you like, as I've forgotten it), if you really can't afford it right now. She might be able to shed a little bit of light on whether it's an urgent matter or not, that may need to be looked at in person.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I don't know. I have no experience with malignant tumors, sorry. I hope your Sophie's tumor is also benign.
If your willing to travel, often small town vets are significantly cheaper.
That's OK, thanks for the tip on the small town vets, will definitely keep that in mind!

Just wondering, why haven't you got her spayed? Not spaying a cat increases the risk mammary, ovarian and uterine cancer, and can make for quite the unhappy kitty.

Anyway, hope she's ok, and you get the money to get it checked on soon - better sooner rather than later IMO, we can speculate as much as we like, but none of us are veterinarians.

There is a member on here whose Mum is a vet, maybe send him the pic (i will find his username for you if you like, as I've forgotten it), if you really can't afford it right now. She might be able to shed a little bit of light on whether it's an urgent matter or not, that may need to be looked at in person.
I don't know, we never thought it was an issue getting her spayed, and didn't know of the downsides of not doing it. Plus we thought it was crazy expensive, though now we know it can be quite cheap. Once we've found a new place and have settled in, we are definitely going to look into getting her spayed, definitely don't want her getting cancer, plus it's supposed to make them a bit calmer as well, (she's not the most stable kitty in terms of temperament).

Yeah, I hope she's OK too, will definitely try to get her checked up once we have the money and the time.

That sounds great, would love to send some pictures to that person if you can find his username and he's OK with it! :)

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
Unfortunately, my mother says she can't say anything. It's along the same lines as a picture ID of a generic looking T, but if you're wrong a lawsuit could be coming your way. I'm not saying you might sue my mom, but my mom refuses on principle.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Unfortunately, my mother says she can't say anything. It's along the same lines as a picture ID of a generic looking T, but if you're wrong a lawsuit could be coming your way. I'm not saying you might sue my mom, but my mom refuses on principle.
OK, thanks for asking her at least, I really appreciate it.