Case of Mortal Necrotizing Fasciitis of the Trunk Resulting From a Centipede (Scolopendra moritans)

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I dont know if anyone has seen this medical article (with pic's) about a 46 year old man who died due a bite from a S. moritans in 2005

http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlFilePath=journals/ijem/vol2n2/centipede.xml
I believe that i would not call that a death due to a centipede bite, but a death due to a bacterial infection resulting in Necrotising Fasciitis.
I dont believe by readign that article that the centipede actually directly caused it. However , with any puncture wound bacteria can be introduced into the body where it may cause NEcrosis.

mikeythefireman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I haven't seen any studies or medical documentation to confirm it, but my theory is that this is the root cause of many of the anecdotal reports of Brown Recluse bites in Washington state.

This paragraph highlights the introduction of the pathogen and mentions other possible methods of NF infection.

Although usually centipede bites produce a characteristic lesion with erythema, edema and pain that heal in a week with no complication,violation of the intact skin may cause and progress to NF. Necrotizing fasciitis occurs predominantly in patients predisposed by advanced age, immunosuppressive therapy, alcohol abuse, HIV infection, malignancy, diabetes mellitus, chronic renal failure or vascular insufficiency. It can occur at any age while the mean age varies from 32 years to 57.[ 2 ] Although bacteria resulting NF vary (facultative anaerobes, enterobacteriaceae, group A β-hemolytic streptococcus, marine vibrios and fungi), group A streptococcus (Streptococcus pyogenes) accounts for 62% to 97% of all cases.[ 14 , 15 ] Reported mechanisms of the injury have included cuts, burns, blunt or penetrating traumas, chronic skin conditions, animal, human or insect bites, child-birth, intravenous use of illegal drugs, post-operative infections, perirectal or other abscesses, incarcerated hernias and even inconsequential scratch or injection of insulin.[ 3