Carribean centipede?

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've just bought a giant "Carribean centipede" with the only description being Scolopendra spp. Any ideas what species it might be? Should i care for it differently to any other pede? Heres a picture from the website:

Attachments

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
You'd have to give a closer shot than that for us to make a stab at an ID... if it is truly from the Carribbean, it could be S. gigantea, S. viridicornis, S. crudelis, or possibly S. morsitans... at least those are the species native to the carribbean that I'm aware of.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
scolopendra?

Originally posted by Mister Internet
You'd have to give a closer shot than that for us to make a stab at an ID... if it is truly from the Carribbean, it could be S. gigantea, S. viridicornis, S. crudelis, or possibly S. morsitans... at least those are the species native to the carribbean that I'm aware of.
It could also be an undescribed species of Scolopendra. What other species are out there?
Anyone know where Alipes sp. comes from? Anyway, I agree with Mr. Internet, Dan, a close up picture would help oodles.

Paul

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, i though i was being a bit optimistic with the id, i've been searching for carribean centipedes on the net and have come up with many likely candidates. I will try and post a better pic when i can, i'm hoping to get my hands on a digi cam with a macro in a few weeks. The setup i've got is a plastic tank (14" x 8") with 50/50 mix of peat and vermiculite, some moss, a piece of cork shelter and a decent sized water bowl. Temp range is about 70-80 F. Does this sound ok? It's difficult to find good care sheets for pedes on the net, there's countless care sheets for tarantulas, but a real lack of info on pedes.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: scolopendra?

Originally posted by phoenixxavierre
It could also be an undescribed species of Scolopendra. What other species are out there?
Anyone know where Alipes sp. comes from? Anyway, I agree with Mr. Internet, Dan, a close up picture would help oodles.

Paul
Hey Paul. If you're referring to the Feather Tail centipede (by Alipes) they originate from East Africa to the best of my knowledge. Apparently, they may not actually be Alipes sp. though. I have found them on more sites listed (internationally) as being in the genus Trachycormocephalus. I wish I knew someone who could confirm this though. :?

Atrax

Last edited: