Carolina wolf spider spider premolt

Occisor

Arachnopeon
So I have this carolina wolf spider and I don't know if its in premolt or not. Yesterday it was less active and refused crickets but today it just took one. Do they take food while in premolt? Do different localities behave differently? What other signs of premolt are there for this species?

EDIT: As of now she dropped it instead of eating it, is this a sign she is in premolt?

Last edited:

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I haven't really noticed a premolt with them yet. Mine have eaten, molted, will refuse food right after molt for a few days, when they shouldn't be fed anyhow, although I've accidently dropped a baby dubia in before I saw the fresh molt, and they took it anyhow. They'll take a big meal before a molt or dropping a sack and then just do it. Assuming mine are carolinensis but they are all black ventral hogna something lol. I try to keep the meals smaller for the adults so far but I haven't really kept these before. like something the size of their carapace every 3 or 4 days.. but I really haven't been doing it long. If they don't want it, just try again in a few days, if you want to watch them eat more often, smaller food ;)

Also, after adulthood, I don't think they molt anymore(could be wrong) so if the abdomen is huge, lay off awhile.. they should have water available at all times too as I understand.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Yeah now I have one in premolt, I spoke too soon. One of these species, hard to tell yet, probably antelucana... It is about 1/2" DLS now, and usually makes a dirt curtain to molt, otherwise it's out and hungry. Now it's out in the open and didn't even look at the roach. Didn't bat it away even or anything, or run away like it was too big, just meh, and it usually eats anything. It's pretty dang plump lol, I probably should have squinted harder before I even tried to feed it.

I've noticed the wild caught adults can be picky eaters and sometimes only want things they recognize, but the slings usually take anything small enough. My adult female Schizocosa mccooki starved itself for quite awhile until it got giant black crickets from the yard, and turned out it was even gravid at the time.

Attachments