CARNIVOROUS PLANT gallery

kgrizzlefoshizzle

Arachnopeon
IMG_7733.JPG IMG_7920.JPG Been growing these marvelous wonders of nature for a little while. I'll use this thread to periodically post pictures of my extensive collection of carnivorous plants! Hope you all enjoy.

IMG_8526.JPG IMG_8342.JPG IMG_8522.JPG IMG_8487.JPG IMG_8616.JPG

Last edited:

keks

Arachnobaron
You have beautiful carnivores, they seem to have full sun all the day :)
My ones have only sun until noon, they are not as red as yours. But one of my Sarracenia purpurea has a bloom although, I am proud of it ^^.

kgrizzlefoshizzle

Arachnopeon
Beautiful plants! Are they hard to grow?
It depends on the species really , some Nepenthes, heliamphora, darlingtonia and Cephalotus can be difficult. I definitely recommend Sarracenia for beginners as well as standard Venus flytraps. If your temperatures allow it they can basically grow outdoors all season long. They do require a winter dormancy where the plant dies down to the rhizome and reemerges in the spring as a bigger and stronger plant. As long as there aren't long periods of weather under 20° and substantial freezes… Most Sarracenia are hardy enough to survive the winter . Hope this helps!

kgrizzlefoshizzle

Arachnopeon
My ones have only sun until noon, they are not as red as yours. But one of my Sarracenia purpurea has a bloom although, I am proud of it ^^.
Yes my plants get full sun all day! It is definitely the best thing for them. I definitely love when they bloom it's the most exciting time of the season. Good luck in your growing! Thank you for the kind words !

mickiem

Arachnoprince
You're welcome! I appreciate the kind words!
I was surprised to see you are in NY. With plants that healthy, I thought you must certainly be in California or some ultra sunshine state. I said the photos are excellent, they are excellent photos of exquisite plants! I have a small bog garden; all native stuff no tropical. One of my favorite areas in my garden.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I got a sarracenia last year with PINK blooms! I think it is burkwoodii. I'll have to check. It is stunning. All of the flowers are amazing; take my breath away.

kgrizzlefoshizzle

Arachnopeon
That helped! Unfortunately I live where the winters get pretty cold.
I'm in Ny we get pretty chilly here too. As long as you take extra measures such as tarps to protect from freezing winds you should be ok if you ever wanted to give em a try !

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Those are some nice plants you've got growing--hamatas, I know, are known for being finicky, but yours is doing well, and that second sarracenia is gorgeous (what species is It? Reminds me of S. rosea).

kgrizzlefoshizzle

Arachnopeon
Those are some nice plants you've got growing--hamatas, I know, are known for being finicky, but yours is doing well, and that second sarracenia is gorgeous (what species is It? Reminds me of S. rosea).
That is a hybrid cross called S. Simone created by jerry addington that I recieved from Phil Faulisi

Spartula

Arachnopeon
Wow! I've never raised Carnivorous plants before, but you have got me thinking that I just might have to start!! Those are amazing! Thanks for sharing!

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Are we both salivating?:wideyed::Dmaybe just me:kiss::kiss:

schmiggle

Arachnoking
That helped! Unfortunately I live where the winters get pretty cold.
You can actually do just fine outdoors in Connecticut--you have native cp's, and even ones from somewhat warmer climates (i.e., most sarracenia and Venus fly traps) do ok if you give them a bit of winter protection, which you should do with potted plants anyway. Use a tarp, mulch them, or put them in an unheated garage (or in the fridge is fine if they're small).