Caring for an animal ISN'T a hobby.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
To be fair I think it's only me who sees the term as a massive insult to keeping living animals.

ALTHOUGH after reading the replies I do see this is a "me" problem. I get this alot.
Nothing wrong with your view or other people's perspectives. Everyone has their own interpretation and ideologies of how they view things, so there's no right or wrong for this thread as it's just a self-reflection on how people view the term of hobby.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Nothing wrong with your view or other people's perspectives. Everyone has their own interpretation and ideologies of how they view things, so there's no right or wrong for this thread as it's just a self-reflection on how people view the term of hobby.
Indeed. That's a very reflective and adult way to look at it.

Although of course they're all wrong.................

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Sounded like you needed to vent a bit @basin79, which is understandable. I too grow disillusioned with some aspects of this hobby at times, and I just need to remind myself why I am in it (and vice versa).

And nobody mistake me for joking when I say the above cover looks like it needs to be on the front of a real magazine. basin79, I may need to PM you.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Two short legs

Arachnopeon
Calm down people!!that saying is only been used by other people to describe what I do.and I do a few things.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Sounded like you needed to vent a bit @basin79, which is understandable. I too grow disillusioned with some aspects of this hobby at times, and I just need to remind myself why I am in it (and vice versa).

And nobody mistake me for joking when I say the above cover looks like it needs to be on the front of a real magazine. basin79, I may need to PM you.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Aye, you're absolutely right. I did need to vent. My head is a rascal at the best of times so if something doesn't give it gives.

Appreciate that @Arthoverts

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I'm impressed as to how the word "hobby" got taken out of context by different perspectives.

Really? Then doesn't that apply to anyone who successfully bred a T. before? Or is there a standard? :artist:
It was a joke more than anything, but lets make it a new rule that you officially become a tarantula business-person after selling at least 50 captive bred slings

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
It was a joke more than anything, but lets make it a new rule that you officially become a tarantula business-person after selling at least 50 captive bred slings
"Little did they know, but that new rule would become the foundation for the Tarantula Sellers of the World charter and rule book, which would later influence the rise and fall of the Arachnoculture Kings Inc. monopoly of the global sling market..."
Annals of A. writeri, scribe species of Arachnoculture

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
That's why you see many use it to describe tarantulas but not cats, dogs, birds.
I think people don't apply the term hobby to cats and dogs because for 99/100 owners they are literally family.
Would you call your tarantula's family? No, but Typhoon for sure.

Another factor is care needed.
Honestly there are days I literally forget I have spiders as pets, walk past their terrariums and think "oh right!".
The amount of care a tarantula needs is abysmal in comparison to cats and dogs who are social beings like us, it would be "off" to call them a hobby.

Tarantula's though? No man, that's definitely my hobby. Sorry, not sorry. :smirk:

basin79

ArachnoGod
I think people don't apply the term hobby to cats and dogs because for 99/100 owners they are literally family.
Would you call your tarantula's family? No, but Typhoon for sure.

Another factor is care needed.
Honestly there are days I literally forget I have spiders as pets, walk past their terrariums and think "oh right!".
The amount of care a tarantula needs is abysmal in comparison to cats and dogs who are social beings like us, it would be "off" to call them a hobby.

Tarantula's though? No man, that's definitely my hobby. Sorry, not sorry. :smirk:
Typhon.

Danthevine4432

Arachnosquire
I love taking care of my tarantula as a hobby. But also I love my tarantula little guy is fully mature now. Even people get offended by me using the word hobby it’s there problem not mine... and also everyone is entitled to their own opinion but don’t go pushing your beliefs on others ...

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Some may know I absolutely hate the term "hobby" for keeping live animals. For me it's just not deserving and makes tarantulas some sort of part time when I can be arsed thing.

Now I know the definition of hobby. And I absolutely know that when others use it it's NOT a derogatory comment but still.

Growing vegetables is a hobby. Taking care of living animals isn't.
If you dont work proffessionally with something, in this case tarantulas it would be classified as a hobby. Has nothing to do with if it is luving animals or not

mantiscatamp

Arachnoknight
yoo whoever wrote this is cool. i agree and don rly use it either. i like to call it my "obsession"

Danthevine4432

Arachnosquire
If you dont work proffessionally with something, in this case tarantulas it would be classified as a hobby. Has nothing to do with if it is luving animals or not
If you don’t mind me asking how long have you been in the Honby for?

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I mean...we call it a hobby because the definition of hobby is EXACTLY what we do with our spoods.

HOBBY- an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.

We do it regularly, and its for pleasure. It is NOT a chore. We do it for fun. The moment it is no longer fun it stops being a hobby. So in that sense calling it a Hobby is actually saying how much we truly enjoy taking care of our invertebrates.

Playing with your dog IS a hobby. Feeding/Walking/Washing it is a CHORE

Danthevine4432

Arachnosquire
I mean...we call it a hobby because the definition of hobby is EXACTLY what we do with our spoods.

HOBBY- an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.

We do it regularly, and its for pleasure. It is NOT a chore. We do it for fun. The moment it is no longer fun it stops being a hobby. So in that sense calling it a Hobby is actually saying how much we truly enjoy taking care of our invertebrates.

Playing with your dog IS a hobby. Feeding/Walking/Washing it is a CHORE
That’s right. And I love my spider. It’s definitely a hobby. And I’ve had my spider since it was a spider lingThat’s right. And I love my spider. It’s definitely a hobby. And I’ve had my spider since it was a spiderling Two years ago it was the size of my thumb nail. Now it’s the size of the palm of my hand. I love the little guy and yes it’s a good hobby to have.