Caring for an Abbot's sphinx moth caterpiller

Katy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I looked down yesterday and discovered a hitchiker, a big grey catpiller hanging on to the front of my shirt, http://www.whatsthatbug.com/images/abbots_sphinx_cat.jpg
I'd never seen one before and wasn't sure if it was even native to Central Ontario, I'd been helping my Grandparents move potted greenhouse plants and thought it might have come from there.
I looked it up and found out what it is and that it eats grape vines, so I got some for it, but it isn't really eating anything.

Is there a good way to tell whether it's not eating because it's about to pupate, or because I'm not doing something right? It was really active last night but has really slowed down. I've only seen Monarch caterpillers pupate, never any moth species, I'm not sure what to expect.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If it is about to pupate which is right for this time of year, the prolegs will kinda get sucked a little back into the body. Also, you may see the dorsal aorta (dark line running along it's back) pumping. If you see this pumping, put it in about 3 inches of soil because it will pupate soon.