Caring for a Heteroscodra maculata

OBT1

Arachnosquire
I am interested in purchasing one of these. Common name? Arboreal? From rainforest? Difficult to keep? And general care.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do NOT underestimate their speed. Even when you really understand spiders and how they react to stimuli, this spider is a challenge to work with as it moves much faster than you can react. The bite is terrible.
Growth rate is pretty frickin' slow. They're almost never visible and, when they are, run for cover almost immediately upon any stimuli. By the way I'm talking about them, you probably couldn't tell that they're my second favorite species. I've got a good number of them at different sizes, and almost never see them, but they're still amazing. Get it if you feel you're ready, but don't overestimate your preparedness. Good luck with whatever you decide :D

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Do NOT underestimate their speed. Even when you really understand spiders and how they react to stimuli, this spider is a challenge to work with as it moves much faster than you can react. The bite is terrible.
Growth rate is pretty frickin' slow. They're almost never visible and, when they are, run for cover almost immediately upon any stimuli. By the way I'm talking about them, you probably couldn't tell that they're my second favorite species. I've got a good number of them at different sizes, and almost never see them, but they're still amazing. Get it if you feel you're ready, but don't overestimate your preparedness. Good luck with whatever you decide :D
That, exactly.

Common name is Togo Starburst Baboon. They are arboreal but not as slings, or even much as a juvenile from what I've seen. They are rarely out where you can see them even as adults. They are from Africa. They are insanely fast. The one I had launched itself out of the substrate at my face one time, and would have been on me faster than I could blink had I not been using the bag method of transfer. He's now another member's pet hole.

I kinda don't miss him lol

OBT1

Arachnosquire
Sounds risky ,do they need lots of humidity?

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Sounds risky ,do they need lots of humidity?
I kept mine the same as I keep my Avics - a misting/some kind of watering every 2-3 days (I live in a very dry climate so I have to do it often, but it would dry out in between watering, I did not keep it damp in there at all times.

OBT1

Arachnosquire
It's very humid in Louisiana. So I might have to water just enough to keep the dish full? Where are they the cheapest?

Last edited:

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Water dishes aren't necessary. Wet the substrate every few weeks and you're good. These are a pretty dry species, as are most baboon spiders.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Keep them moist as slings and you can dry them out as they get older.

Try opening up an incubator with 250+ {D

Attachments

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anywhere. Check the classifieds. I saw someone sellings sling around 5 bucks each. Best to start with a sling, as they grow slowly and leave you room to learn.

OBT1

Arachnosquire
How big do they get? I heard about five inches in length, from tip to tip.

Tarantino andTs

Arachnopeon
Christ! How would you actually open that? I have never seen an H. mac in person, but I have seen plenty of videos and it seems like that incubator is Pandora's box. Literally.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Christ! How would you actually open that? I have never seen an H. mac in person, but I have seen plenty of videos and it seems like that incubator is Pandora's box. Literally.
They're fast, yeah. If you care to read the bite reports, there's a report of a woman being bitten on the foot from a 0.5 incher and suffering some pretty adverse effects.

Tarantino andTs

Arachnopeon
I have heard of temporary paralysis of them, but I still find the m to be one of the most interesting looking species out there. I am a day away from receiving my first T, a 4.5" B. Emilia, but I would love to keep a H. Mac. some day, do you think it would be practical as a third or 4th spider?

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I don't think any tarantula is ever "practical" LOL

Seriously though, they are fast. Blink-and-they-are-gone fast. Faster than any human, by a long shot. BUT - they're more sprint than stamina from what I've heard/seen. They aren't all that likely to run 80 laps around your living room like it's Old World Nascar. You just have to be very careful with them.

pardozer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I transfered my 1.5" H. Maculata yesterday in my bathtub. After I removed the cork bark, it ran out and back into its old enclosure 3 times in literally 1.5 seconds at most. If she didn't make me so nervous, I would have held her after she calmed down.

I've had her since 2i. She was $3 lol. The breeder had 2 clutches at the time.

uploadfromtaptalk1360039467446.jpg