Caribena versicolor

kinguriel

Arachnopeon
Hi so I’m new to tarantulas I have keep a lot of tropical reptiles and amphibians. So I been wanting for over 2 years a Caribena Vesicolor I been doing a lot of research and I keep reading that they require great side airflow so I’m trying to get a enclosure for the T and I bought a exo terra nano tall but I’m not sure if it will have good airflow that this T needs. I also found this one and that has a nice thick solid coated mesh for a smooth finish would this be okay to maintain the airflow and I can put glass on the top. I want to make sure I have the proper cage for her before I bring her home she’s a adult female.

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
The exoterras have decent air flow and you could use it, its not about strict side cross ventilation that gets taken too literally sometimes its just about air movement and thhe exoterras do a good job of air movment through thermal gadient withh cool air moving in below and hot air escaping above.

Im not sure about the one you posted to be honest never seen it before but looks like it would have a lot of airflow.

entomologic

Arachnopeon
That looks like it could have almost too much airflow if the sides are just pure mesh. Can make keeping the water dish filled a pain since it will evaporate quicker. Also, mesh in general is typically avoided due to the risk of their legs getting caught. That looks like a better type of mesh than is typical on the exoterra's but still a possible risk. Finally there is some debate whether versicolors benefit from humidity during molt. Anecdotally, I keep mine a bit higher right before molt (Overflow the water dish and put a few drop on the web by them) and have not had a problem in the dozen or so molts they've been through.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
The Exo-Terra would be fine as long as it's an appropriate size.
It's very easy to rip out the screen top and replace it with drilled acrylic.

kinguriel

Arachnopeon
The exoterras have decent air flow and you could use it, its not about strict side cross ventilation that gets taken too literally sometimes its just about air movement and thhe exoterras do a good job of air movment through thermal gadient withh cool air moving in below and hot air escaping above.

Im not sure about the one you posted to be honest never seen it before but looks like it would have a lot of airflow.
Thank you for the reply yeah the other tank I posted does have a large vent about 3”x7” inch vent on each side. I just want to make sure I keep her in a appropriate tank where I can meet the needs. Would a 8x8x12 be okay or should I go for the 12x12x18.???

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you for the reply yeah the other tank I posted does have a large vent about 3”x7” inch vent on each side. I just want to make sure I keep her in a appropriate tank where I can meet the needs. Would a 8x8x12 be okay or should I go for the 12x12x18.???
You don’t need a 12x12x18. You may need something smaller than even the 8x8x12. What size C. versicolor are you getting? Those two sizes are only good for “full sized” adult females.

The Exo-Terra would be fine as long as it's an appropriate size.
It's very easy to rip out the screen top and replace it with drilled acrylic.
I always forget to take it he mesh out before I silicone the acrylic in place. Oh well. Lol. Not the best view.

kinguriel

Arachnopeon
I always forget to take it he mesh out before I silicone the acrylic in place. Oh well. Lol. Not the best view.
I been looking at videos on how to take out the mesh and placed a curb side pick up for a drill bit. She’s about 3.5 /4 inches not sure is that makes her a adult but she’s definitely not a sling.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’m not sure if it will have good airflow that this T needs
It does, used in EU for decades- NO ISSUES regarding air flow.

thick solid coated mesh
mesh is a horrible idea!

I been looking at videos on how to take out the mesh and placed a curb side pick up for a drill bit. She’s about 3.5 /4 inches not sure is that makes her a adult but she’s definitely not a sling.
Not adult sized yet. Juvi IMO, these terms aren't scientific.

For a drop in top for ExoTerra..PM me, I know a company that makes them, and they can make it without the top grid. Just drill some basic holes in the top.