Caribena Versicolor Sling

morgant

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to the hobby; I currently have 2 tarantulas which I have raised from 1inch slings (Tliltocatl albopilosus and Lasiodora parahybana)
A year ago, I purchased a 1/2-inch Caribena Versicolor sling and made sure I put in hours of research since I knew these slings were a bit harder to care for. I did everything right, I believe, lots of ventilation holes in the enclosure, sprayed the web down with water often, fed cut-up super worms, and made sure the temp and humidity levels were okay. It was always an okay eater, but about 5 months after I got it started refusing food. I didn't panic because T was still acting fine, but then, a couple of days later, she died. I was super upset by this and haven't purchased a tarantula since- I thought it was my fault and felt so guilty, so I didn't want to post about it either. I'm now exploring getting another Caribena Versicolor and was wondering if you guys had any tips. Should I be doing something differently? Thanks!

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
I suggest setting up an enclosure and posting photos. Much of what you say could be right, and you sound like a reasonable person, but it's hard to pinpoint specific problems without seeing. Lots of ventilation: essential, and good that you've got that covered. Spraying down the web often... well, you didn't make the whole web and the whole enclosure too wet or spray the spider, right? A few droplets on part of the web would be good. This death you had may not be your fault at all. Doing everything right as well as anyone could, a sling will still die occasionally. There's no reason to fear getting another one. These are not so difficult. With expert guidance from people around here, you can certainly succeed, and that will expunge any lingering bad feelings from earlier mishaps. Wishing you the best 👍

Smotzer

Arachnoemperor
If you were spraying it’s web as in misting this could have been a problem. It’s better to just add drops to the webbing not spraying. Or it could have simply just not made it. Definitely post photos. Did it have a water dish?

NMTs

Arachno-afflicted
Arachnosupporter +
sprayed the web down with water often, fed cut-up super worms, and made sure the temp and humidity levels were okay.
These are likely the culprits. No reason not to try again, though - as others have said, you're in the right place to learn how to do it correctly, and we can help if you loop us in early on in the process.

Dementeddoll

Arachnosquire
I suggest setting up an enclosure and posting photos. Much of what you say could be right, and you sound like a reasonable person, but it's hard to pinpoint specific problems without seeing. Lots of ventilation: essential, and good that you've got that covered. Spraying down the web often... well, you didn't make the whole web and the whole enclosure too wet or spray the spider, right? A few droplets on part of the web would be good. This death you had may not be your fault at all. Doing everything right as well as anyone could, a sling will still die occasionally. There's no reason to fear getting another one. These are not so difficult. With expert guidance from people around here, you can certainly succeed, and that will expunge any lingering bad feelings from earlier mishaps. Wishing you the best 👍
Agreed. I had bought one years back along with a cobalt blue sling. Both died. I was very upset but I did my research and all. Then just this year decided to get slings. I bought 4 and my Brazilian blue died. The other 3 are really good eaters and have been doing amazing. Growing super fast. And I just bought a couple of juvies yesterday and 5 more slings. One is a versicolor. I’m a bit nervous but I’m sure it should be fine. Sometimes and most times a lot of slings die due to bad molts. That lil Brazilian blue died of a bad molt. I hitch sucks cuz it was eating really good too. So sometimes you could be doing everything 100 percent right and it won’t be your fault. That’s the risk you take with slings hence why they’re cheaper than juvis or adults.

Also as far as the misting a few droplets of water is enough, you don’t wanna house it in a large container either. Usually the small vials are perfect for them until they really need to be rehoused. Even then a sling crib no bigger than 3’ should be used. Some moss and a few droplets of water when the soil and moss seem to be dry. Remember Although this species is humid you can’t make it too humid for them cuz that can also kill them. Rn that it’s the cold season keep in mind enclosures tend to trap humidity more for longer. Which another issue can be mold. So just be careful not to mist too much.

Miles1

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to the hobby; I currently have 2 tarantulas which I have raised from 1inch slings (Tliltocatl albopilosus and Lasiodora parahybana)
A year ago, I purchased a 1/2-inch Caribena Versicolor sling and made sure I put in hours of research since I knew these slings were a bit harder to care for. I did everything right, I believe, lots of ventilation holes in the enclosure, sprayed the web down with water often, fed cut-up super worms, and made sure the temp and humidity levels were okay. It was always an okay eater, but about 5 months after I got it started refusing food. I didn't panic because T was still acting fine, but then, a couple of days later, she died. I was super upset by this and haven't purchased a tarantula since- I thought it was my fault and felt so guilty, so I didn't want to post about it either. I'm now exploring getting another Caribena Versicolor and was wondering if you guys had any tips. Should I be doing something differently? Thanks!
Dont feel guilty. Get another one. You'll succeed.

Lizzylou

Arachnopeon
Sorry for your loss, it sucks when that happens. Chalk it up to a learning experience and try again.

I've even used old plastic spice jars with good cross ventilation, a water dish glued to the side and enough dry substrate for them to burrow a little. My aboreal slings have always burrowed until they get settled and start to build their web tunnels up from there.

I have personally never misted their enclosures. The water dish seems to be enough for them. Once my slings start to web, I will over flow their water dish just a little so some drips on the web and the substrate below. I always let the substrate dry out below the water dish before I over flow the dish again though.

Check out Tom Moran's husbandry stuff on you tube, his podcasts are quite informative as well.
Best of luck moving forwards.