Caribena versicolor sling missing legs?

A7xlover13

Arachnopeon
Hi im new here so I dont know how this all works but I have a small, maybe 1/2 inch caribena versicolor sling and she was acting very strange and I thought she was molting in a bad position so I left her alone until about 12 hours later nothing had happened and I noticed she hadn't moved or anything. I took a closer look and she's suddenly missing three legs!!! Im at a loss for how it happened because I don't see any legs anywhere and it was fine one or two days ago when I tried to feed her a small pre killed dubia which she didn't want and I removed a few hours later.
I moved her back into the cup I bought her in without the substrate. I dont know what to do or how this happened. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. She seemed really disoriented and had a hard time walking:( I personally don't think she'll make it through the day

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Lost legs are not uncommon -- they will self-amputate if a leg gets injured. The missing legs will grow back as they molt.

Post photos of the sling and its normal enclosure. If there are issues with the setup, you can fix then before putting the sling back.

Make sure it has access to fresh water.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Could have dropped the legs due to a bad molt, injury, or husbandry issues. Pics of the enclosure and details about the conditions will help. Hope your little one pulls through!

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
And you put it back in its enclosure without substrate why? So if it falls it has not even that to land on. Post pics of your setup. We need to see what’s going on.

A7xlover13

Arachnopeon
And you put it back in its enclosure without substrate why? So if it falls it has not even that to land on. Post pics of your setup. We need to see what’s going on.
I put it in the cup I bought her in its only about 3 inches tall. She doesn't seem to be able to climb right now.

A7xlover13

Arachnopeon
Could have dropped the legs due to a bad molt, injury, or husbandry issues. Pics of the enclosure and details about the conditions will help. Hope your little one pulls through!
This is her enclosure, damp but not wet substrate, fake plant and bone for things to climb on, some moss to keep humidity, and some leaf litter and decorations to make it look cute. Its the zilla arboreal micro habitat, no added ventilation.

Attachments

A7xlover13

Arachnopeon
Lost legs are not uncommon -- they will self-amputate if a leg gets injured. The missing legs will grow back as they molt.

Post photos of the sling and its normal enclosure. If there are issues with the setup, you can fix then before putting the sling back.

Make sure it has access to fresh water.

Attachments

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
This is her enclosure, damp but not wet substrate, fake plant and bone for things to climb on, some moss to keep humidity, and some leaf litter and decorations to make it look cute. Its the zilla arboreal micro habitat, no added ventilation.
There are some issues with this that have probably caused the problems you're seeing. The substrate should be dry, the moss and leaf litter are unnecessary. The enclosure is fine as is - the way they're made allows for adequate ventilation, but not if you provide too much moisture. Just be sure the sling can't fit through the little holes where the front panel hinges. From the hard water stains on the acrylic it looks like you've been misting regularly, too. This species does excellent with dry substrate and a small water dish that is always full, foliage in the top half of the enclosure, and a piece of bark leaned up against the side that goes from top to bottom. That's it.

Read through this for more tips. Fix your enclosure and put the sling back in there and hopefully it'll recover enough to regenerate the lost legs when it molts.

*Edit: note where your sling made it's web and be sure to provide some fake leaves up there that it can incorporate in it's web home.

Last edited:

A7xlover13

Arachnopeon
There are some issues with this that have probably caused the problems you're seeing. The substrate should be dry, the moss and leaf litter are unnecessary. The enclosure is fine as is - the way they're made allows for adequate ventilation, but not if you provide too much moisture. Just be sure the sling can't fit through the little holes where the front panel hinges. From the hard water stains on the acrylic it looks like you've been misting regularly, too. This species does excellent with dry substrate and a small water dish that is always full, foliage in the top half of the enclosure, and a piece of bark leaned up against the side that goes from top to bottom. That's it.

Read through this for more tips. Fix your enclosure and put the sling back in there and hopefully it'll recover enough to regenerate the lost legs when it molts.

*Edit: note where your sling made it's web and be sure to provide some fake leaves up there that it can incorporate in it's web home.
I dont mist regularly, I rarely mist at all. Just an occasional spritz to make sure she's getting hydrated so a few water beads form around where she hangs out just in case. I probably have done that 3 or 4 times the last 2 months.

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
Your enclosure needs anchor points up top... you can see this because the T has resorted to webbing up a corner of the enclosure rather than the objects you've put in there.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I dont mist regularly, I rarely mist at all. Just an occasional spritz to make sure she's getting hydrated so a few water beads form around where she hangs out just in case. I probably have done that 3 or 4 times the last 2 months.
Rather than misting use a dropper and put a couple drops on the webbing - that's all that's needed and will prevent the rest of the enclosure from getting too wet. I use one of these and it works great:
20221206_195629.jpg

The main point of my response, though, was these T's will eventually die in an enclosure that is constantly wet, even just a little bit. The normal state should be dry, with an occasional bit of moisture added, not the reverse.

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
Rather than misting use a dropper and put a couple drops on the webbing - that's all that's needed and will prevent the rest of the enclosure from getting too wet. I use one of these and it works great:
View attachment 434110

The main point of my response, though, was these T's will eventually die in an enclosure that is constantly wet, even just a little bit. The normal state should be dry, with an occasional bit of moisture added, not the reverse.
That’s nice, I use the watering bottle as attached. More convenient IMO since it can hold more water, but the flow is harder to control than syringes.

Attachments

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
That’s nice, I use the watering bottle as attached. More convenient IMO since it can hold more water, but the flow is harder to control than syringes.
I use those bottles (they're called wash bottles or something, right?) for bigger T's & enclosures, and they work great, but the syringes are a lot easier for me to use when working with slings. I've somehow managed to get the sizes right where I can stick the tip of the syringe into the end of the squirt bottle straw and pull the water out to fill the syringe. Luck of the draw, that. Just as with most things, having the right/good tools makes this hobby more enjoyable 😉.