Caribena versicolor: How to create an enclosure for slings.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This was an extremely helpful thread and I just built a replica for my versi sling for under $12. How often did you mist the sides of this enclosure? I am not doing a water dish until my sling is older. View attachment 347299
Why are you waiting for a dish???? You have the space.

Also a bowl is useful because you don’t know when they need water other than abdomen size.

They won’t always drink from a bowl or do so sporadically- still can’t predict when they will drink.

@Tentacle Toast thread for you

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Why are you waiting for a dish???? You have the space.

Also a bowl is useful because you don’t know when they need water other than abdomen size.

They won’t always drink from a bowl or do so sporadically- still can’t predict when they will drink.

@Tentacle Toast thread for you
Thank you... immensely!

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What are people using to place food on the web of the arboreals in enclosures that open at the bottom - such as AMAC's?

I have a pair of tweezers but man it is really hard to get a dead prey item up into an enclosure in the corner. I get when the T has sufficiently webbed things it'll be easier, but while they are still settling in the webs are far smaller.

I have read mixed reviews on Caribena and Avicularia slings hunting down. I did not see my previous sling ever take the pre-kill at that i placed on the ground or part way up on the moss piece I had.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Just put a cricket on the ground the spider will grab it and usually drop the bolus when its done.

skullnbones

Arachnopeon
First successful rehouse. Just held the top over the old vial and got my sling to walk right up and in. Great info on the enclosure setup. 20221124_084843.jpg

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
This is a great thread and relevant to most avic species as well.

I want to point out one thing that could pose an issue that OP said.

Removing a slings web because you can’t see it is unnecessary. Ts will build their bend in a way that optimizes what they instinctually need as far as environmental factors go, so long as your husbandry is on point. This places unnecessary stress on the spider and may even lead to a death. Heavier webbing happens when a spider is heading towards a molt as well. Not a good thing to do ever. To much of a risk for an outcome that has nothing to dowith the health of the animal.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
You do make a great point.

It is beneficial to be able to remove the sling with ease when it grows. At the right time of course. This enclosure style makes that very easy and I should have worded it differently.

After rehousing and removing the webbing, it makes a great arboreal enclosure for other slings to be housed in.