Caribena versicolor color variation.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Thats another reason why I wouldnt be surprised if they were different species.
Lets say the red one locale is from a different island, there's a whole sea isolating them geographically so, who knows?
A lot of commerce/tourism goes on between the islands, so it is probably more common than we think that spiders, and other organisms, can move about pretty regularly. There are a number of Tapinauchenius throughout the islands as well, and I bet that there are locale differences with them too.

MaddiesMom

Arachnopeon
I believe they are different localities and should be bred accordingly. (Not sure if all people do though) I would like to get a red form breeding project going in a couple years if I can. I got a supposedly red color form slings recently but I am not sure if they will turn out that way or not.
My C. versicolor just matured and I was never able to get a molt intact enough to sex, but I suspected he was a male with how fast he matured. The sperm web confirmed it for me though. "Max" would appear to be the redder coloration. 20210313_223942.jpg

Ella1984

Arachnopeon
Classifieds User
20210425_163509.jpg 20210425_163509.jpg FB_IMG_1618589026881.jpg Screenshot_20210318-164328_Gallery.jpg Red versicolod natural light.jpg
I have 3 red sisters. There always so much drama going on on my Facebook page when I'm posting "Red" Versicolor pictures and videos. Red ones are definitely larger and fluffier. On one of the pictures i was paring one of my red females with huge red male (they both so big, looks like 2 females).
P.S.: Link to my Facebook page. There are tons of pictures and videos of my red ones https://www.facebook.com/ellas.spiders.7

Last edited:

JerkyRice

Arachnopeon
My lass is of the red variety and I DON'T add additional saturation.

Freshly moulted, in the sunlight. And I mean freshly moulted. Still wasn't hard. Not sure why she was even out.
View attachment 352679 View attachment 352680

Sunlight again
View attachment 352681 View attachment 352682 View attachment 352683

I will add even though I've seen less colourful versi's compared to my lass I'd always assumed it was just that their particular versi wasn't as colourful not an actual variation.

So maybe the reds occur where there are more or a particular predator? Red = warning? An evolutionary adaptation?
Damn...those pictures are awesome!