Career Opportunities

robin8eye

Arachnopeon
I've been fascinated with spiders for a long time in my life and recently got into tarantulas after coming across Arachnoboards. I am really curious about careers in the arachnology umbrella. If anyone here has tips on education/research fields to look into that would be greatly appreciated. i live in a cold climate and cant really study wild spiders as well. i want to find a way to make a living while also assisting in research, conservation and education on tarantulas and other spiders.:writer:

Minty

@londontarantulas
Don’t know what age you are, but you could contact universities and find out if they offer any degrees in entomology or similar. The biology and entomology route is the best way to go if you want to make a professional career of it.

You can also immerse yourself in self study. Over here in the UK, the British Tarantula Society offer lectures covering arachnids, and contacting them and other similar societies may be able to help point you in the correct direction.

I’d also recommend getting in touch with the NHM in London.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Self employment method, arachnid rescue. Conservation through rescuing and rehoming, education through expos and doing demos with schools and whatnot, research can be self study. No degree required!

There’s a few folks I’ve met so far on here that do expos and stuff. I’m sure if you wanted further information on working for yourself, you have it all at your fingertips here.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Pick an undergrad degree such as Entomology, Ecology, Zoology, or Biology. After undergrad you can get more specific in your focus. You can be an entomologist with a specialization in arachnology, or an ecologist that focuses on spider ecology...which would make you an arachnologist as well. Those are just a few possibilities. There likely isn't a whole lot of funding for most spider research/ecology, so opportunities would be far and wide and competitive...except in the realm of venom and silk. So even as a Chemist or Physicist you could have a focus on arachnology if studying spider silk or venom (where the money is at).

I have always loved invertebrates, so I got a undergrad and masters degree in entomology. I ended up working in the pest control industry most of my career (so far), even though I love insects. I do my part in trying to ease fear and anxiety towards insects, educate people on facts vs myths, and encourage people not to use insecticides unless absolutely necessary. Most of the companies I worked for did not appreciate me discouraging the use of pest control if it wasn't really necessary lol. Luckily where I work now, it is not for profit.

Last edited:

robin8eye

Arachnopeon
thank you all for the replies! i am a senior in high school which as you know can be a VERY stressful time for dealing with college choices and stuff. Your advice has been quite helpful :) 🙏

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
thank you all for the replies! i am a senior in high school which as you know can be a VERY stressful time for dealing with college choices and stuff. Your advice has been quite helpful :) 🙏
A top tarantula expert is Dr Jason Bond at Auburn University- I’ve talked with him before he’s a super nice guy- same with his grad student Dr Chris Hamilton

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
A top tarantula expert is Dr Jason Bond at Auburn University- I’ve talked with him before he’s a super nice guy- same with his grad student Dr Chris Hamilton
Chris Hamilton is the guy @ Hamilton Labs, no longer a grad student, but a Professor. I have spoken with him and he is an awesome dude.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Chris Hamilton is the guy @ Hamilton Labs, no longer a grad student, but a Professor. I have spoken with him and he is an awesome dude.
Yes I know both facts. But I’m not sure you are familiar with academia based on your response?

In academia (I’m an academic) we routinely refer to a PI’s “progeny” as their grad student. As a student you wear the mantle of your PI, and after you graduate too.

Also Chris couldn’t have the title of Dr ( from Jason’s lab) unless he had already graduated from Jason’s lab, so it’s obvious from my point of view that he is not a student.

Regardless of any grad student’s station in life they will always be Dr so and so’s grad student, even if they win a Nobel Prize. This is common knowledge in academia.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Yes I know both facts. But I’m not sure you are familiar with academia based on your response?

In academia (I’m an academic) we routinely refer to a PI’s “progeny” as their grad student. As a student you wear the mantle of your PI, and after you graduate too.

Also Chris couldn’t have the title of Dr ( from Jason’s lab) unless he had already graduated from Jason’s lab, so it’s obvious from my point of view that he is not a student.

Regardless of any grad student’s station in life they will always be Dr so and so’s grad student, even if they win a Nobel Prize. This is common knowledge in academia.
Thanks for the academia clarification. My concern was the person would seek him @ Auburn and he is no longer under Dr. Bond's Wing.
I know a few Phd's (Doctors) that still work in their original facilities, with their original Professor so your second line has me a tad confused. I understand they are no longer students, they are now PhDs who have decided to stay.
Can you clarify?
Thanks

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Penn State has a good entomology program. I used to walk through the little museum they have set up on campus all the time to see all of the bugs. They did have some black widows on display, so it's not strictly insects.

I'm not honestly sure how different entomology and arachnology are from each other in terms of education and degrees, though. You'd have to call the department and ask about it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for the academia clarification. My concern was the person would seek him @ Auburn and he is no longer under Dr. Bond's Wing.
I know a few Phd's (Doctors) that still work in their original facilities, with their original Professor so your second line has me a tad confused. I understand they are no longer students, they are now PhDs who have decided to stay.
Can you clarify?
Thanks
No prob

Which specific words have you confused? I wrote a few things.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I think it was maybe the way I read it. "Couldn't have the title Dr without having graduated from the lab" I had this vision of my head of every person once they defend their thesis being removed from their labs. "Congrats, now beat it". I am fairly familiar with academia, having graduated from a University with lots of research and having 2 good friends who, like Dr Hamilton, have labs that bear their names

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think it was maybe the way I read it. "Couldn't have the title Dr without having graduated from the lab" I had this vision of my head of every person once they defend their thesis being removed from their labs. "Congrats, now beat it". I am fairly familiar with academia, having graduated from a University with lots of research and having 2 good friends who, like Dr Hamilton, have labs that bear their names
I see now- generally speaking it’s highly frowned upon for a student to remain in their mentor’s lab for a post-doc

I know a few who have, and when they applied for their first tenure track academic position they were all asked why. Even for those who had impeccable pedigrees.

It’s not a good thing to do.