Care to help the newbe?

smoothie4l

Arachnopeon
Hello! I do not own an tarantla (yet) because i can not deside what is the best starter! I know i want a brachypelma perhaps a curly hair? I do wish to handle my T and i have done my home work but i still want some help!! :D

Crispy9168

Arachnopeon
Curly hair is good. I would also recomend a mexican redknee. Mine was my first t, and she is one of the best pets I've ever had :)

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
Curly hair is good. I would also recomend a mexican redknee. Mine was my first t, and she is one of the best pets I've ever had :)
+1 I have a 4cm Curly Hair (B. albopilosum) and an 8cm female red knee (B.smithi). Both make great starter tarantulas, although my B. albo is a lot less skittish than my smithi can be. The B. albo is usually a lot cheaper too.

phily1579

Arachnopeon
Roseas r not good begineer t's. They r very moody n can be pretty skittish also. Perfect beginner is a pink toe, smithi, or curly hair. Do realize that when u handle the t, u takin chances of ur saftey n the t's saftey..

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My top three recommendations would be:
1. G. pulchripes
2. B. albopiloaum
3. Grammostola sp. "concepcion"

Crispy9168

Arachnopeon
+1 I have a 4cm Curly Hair (B. albopilosum) and an 8cm female red knee (B.smithi). Both make great starter tarantulas, although my B. albo is a lot less skittish than my smithi can be. The B. albo is usually a lot cheaper too.
I mainly got my smithi (3/4") for her colors. But when she actually got here, I completely fell in love (without sounding too creepy) the only thing she ever does is run, so hairs aren't an issue yet. And you can't beat those adult colors.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
i definitely recommend either B. albopilosum or B.smithi it all depends on what you want. i know this is probably the opposite of everyone elses experience but my smithi's seem more mellow than my albo, but whatever you want really both are handleable (and you'll get a lot of flack for doing so here), just do it safely low to the ground in an area where theres no hidey spots. in case they decide to bolt and hide either way be away there is always a bite risk.

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

rosea is a good starter t. :D
havent you not even gotten your T yet? i wouldn't recommend a rosie as a starter pet unless you have buckets of patience cause they go off food they're nice one second and mean the next and they can be rather unpredictable plus they take forever to grow.

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are a lot of good starter species. In no particular order here is the ones that I would recommend although some may be pricey.

Aphonopelma hentzi
Brachypelma albopilosum
Brachypelma emilia
Eupalaestrus campestratus
Grammostola pulchra
Grammostola pulchripes
Paraphysa scrofa

Brachybelma smithi would be OK, but IME they tend to kick way to much.

Art

Lolita

Arachnoknight
There are a lot of good starter species. In no particular order here is the ones that I would recommend although some may be pricey.

Aphonopelma hentzi
Brachypelma albopilosum
Brachypelma emilia
Eupalaestrus campestratus
Grammostola pulchra
Grammostola pulchripes
Paraphysa scrofa

Brachybelma smithi would be OK, but IME they tend to kick way to much.

Art
i must have odd smithi's lol i swear i keep hearing that their kicky but none of mine are i guess i got super lucky