Care tips for Argiope?

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron
Hello everyone! I am hopefully planning to keep Argiope aurantia, because I’ve been keeping spiders, Ts, and many other insects for a few years now so i have some experience (I know that orbweavers are sometimes a challenge to keep). I have a few questions about them, though.

1. How often should they be fed?
2. I’m planning to make a wooden frame type enclosure for the spider, what are ideal dimensions?
3. Is it possible to breed these in captivity by introducing the male to the female’s web?
4. Ive read that in the wild, the females are killed by the cold at the end of the year. By keeping them indoors, would this allow them to live for longer?

Thank you in advance for any possible help! Any other care tips would be greatly appreciated! :)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hello everyone! I am hopefully planning to keep Argiope aurantia, because I’ve been keeping spiders, Ts, and many other insects for a few years now so i have some experience (I know that orbweavers are sometimes a challenge to keep). I have a few questions about them, though.

1. How often should they be fed?
2. I’m planning to make a wooden frame type enclosure for the spider, what are ideal dimensions?
3. Is it possible to breed these in captivity by introducing the male to the female’s web?
4. Ive read that in the wild, the females are killed by the cold at the end of the year. By keeping them indoors, would this allow them to live for longer?

Thank you in advance for any possible help! Any other care tips would be greatly appreciated! :)
On the topic of enclosure size, they spin large webs as you likely know. I've had araneus diadematus take to a 29 gallon aquarium. And even then the web was smaller than you usually see out in the woods or on the side of your house.

You'd probably need something with even larger size and a wooden frame to anchor the webbing to for Argiope aurantia.

Feed once a week or so.

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron
On the topic of enclosure size, they spin large webs as you likely know. I've had araneus diadematus take to a 29 gallon aquarium. And even then the web was smaller than you usually see out in the woods or on the side of your house.

You'd probably need something with even larger size and a wooden frame to anchor the webbing to for Argiope aurantia.

Feed once a week or so.
thank you! i am actually planning to order them from someone else so i have not personally seen how large their webs are.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
thank you! i am actually planning to order them from someone else so i have not personally seen how large their webs are.
You know someone with Argiopes? Lucky.

On the topic of webs , look them up on youtube. Some of them are truly massive.