Care Information

biohazard1324

Arachnopeon
Been doing a decent amount of research about desert scorpions, trying to find which is best for me. Unfortunately most of them burrow which is something I'd like to avoid as not seeing my animals causes me anxiety and stress.

My question is, do species like the desert hairy and dune scorpions need to burrow or does burrowing actively contribute to their survival in captivity? During my research I've seen a bunch of people say that their X Scorpion doesn't burrow and is totally fine. So I'm curious if burrowing is something they need or if it's a thing they commonly do

scolopendra277

Arachnoknight
I think they can if they will burrow, and I think the scorpions are less stressed once burrowing.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
If they have the opportunity to burrow it will make them less stressed and they'll live a longer life. Hadrurus Arizonensis for example, goes through a type of hibernation for part of the year so it will block off its burrow. They also use them for managing humidity levels within the burrow, so they can molt successfully. This species can also live up to 30 years... as long as it can burrow.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Correct but I don't know which ones don't burrow. Would love to know
My L. quinquestriatus and my A. australis both don't ever burrow... don't think my P. transvaalicus has ever burrowed as well. Let me think which other desert species I have that I haven't seen burrow.

ScorpFreakKing666

Arachnopeon
As mentioned aboved, L.quinquestriatus and A.australis dont really burrow. Most Hottentotta's dont burrow either, There are other desert species that do not burrow but prefer to live amongst ground litter and under rocks, H.troglodytes dont prefer to burrow but they do require a different setup than most desert species to replicate there natural environment.

You may already be informed but in the event that you are not, if you choose to go with any specie from the Buthidae genus, (Androctonus, Leiurus, Parabuthus, Hottentotta, etc) they have much more potent venom and some of the species are considered medically significant, Just something to consider. Happy hunting. Cheers

biohazard1324

Arachnopeon
As mentioned aboved, L.quinquestriatus and A.australis dont really burrow. Most Hottentotta's dont burrow either, There are other desert species that do not burrow but prefer to live amongst ground litter and under rocks, H.troglodytes dont prefer to burrow but they do require a different setup than most desert species to replicate there natural environment.

You may already be informed but in the event that you are not, if you choose to go with any specie from the Buthidae genus, (Androctonus, Leiurus, Parabuthus, Hottentotta, etc) they have much more potent venom and some of the species are considered medically significant, Just something to consider. Happy hunting. Cheers
Yeah I was looking at A. australis but then saw how potent it was and was kinda bummed. It's such a beautiful scorp

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
If you are specifically looking for a desert species, not all Hottentotta species are considered desert species... that's why I didn't include my H. tamulus, because it's not considered a desert species but they also don't burrow.

biohazard1324

Arachnopeon
If you are specifically looking for a desert species, not all Hottentotta species are considered desert species... that's why I didn't include my H. tamulus, because it's not considered a desert species but they also don't burrow.
I am specifically looking for desert species and I'm aware that some of the Hottentotta are not desert dwellers. If you could give me advice on some that don't burrow and aren't considered "hot" I'd appreciate it