Care for B. vagans and A. geniculata slings

Aqual

Arachnopeon
I just bought them and they should be shipped in a few days I'm wondering how I should set up their enclosures

jaycied

Arachnoknight
As always, do research before buying any new species, but since we're a bit past that point here... How big are the specimens that you ordered? Both are terrestrial, so the space from substrate to the top of the enclosure should be no more than 1 1/2 DLS (diagonal leg span), and the length of the enclosure should be about 3X DLS.

A. geniculata likes humidity. Provide a waterbowl and overfill it about once a week. Helps to place moss around water bowl as well. Provide a hide of some sort, and perhaps a starter burrow.

B. vagans on the other hand like it dry. A waterbowl is sufficient for hydration. Also provide a hide.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
B. vagans on the other hand like it dry. A waterbowl is sufficient for hydration. Also provide a hide.
I don't think that's true. I've kept mine with a damp spot and she's always there. By damp I don't mean wet.

Last edited:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
B. vagans ranges from southern Mexico to Costa Rica they don live in a desert/scrub area like other Brachy's. I have raised 6 now from slings (two to adults) and all of them did well with a overflowed water dish keeping part of the sub damp/moist.
They will survive dry but I think they thrive better with a bit5 of moisture.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I just bought them and they should be shipped in a few days I'm wondering how I should set up their enclosures
If they're smaller than 1", you can use a condiment cup. If they're bigger than 1" (but under 2-3") you can use a large deli cup.

Either way, keep a bit of the substrate damp, and provide a water dish and a place to hide. (If you can't fit a water dish in the condiment cup, you can periodically dribble some water down the sides for the sling to drink.)

Simple examples from @cold blood.

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
you better discipline yourself when it comes to feeding,both of them likes to eat a lot,even at 1-2 days before molting,they'll still eat what you offer them(happened to me).

I know its fun to watch them stalk and pounce on their prey,but overfeeding would have its disadvantages for the Ts,so you should know when to stop feeding them.

As someone who also has both of 'em. i think thats one of the critical info you should need to know.goodluck!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I know its fun to watch them stalk and pounce on their prey,but overfeeding would have its disadvantages for the Ts,so you should know when to stop feeding them.
While this is absolutely true for juveniles and adults, I wouldn't worry too much about overfeeding a sling. (Many people just want to feed them out of the sling stage as quickly as possible.)

I feed my geniculata sling about twice a week. (It gets a small mealworm with the head crushed.)