care difference within genus

ChrisTy

Arachnoaddict
Quite often I see many members (myself included) asking for care specifics relating to their species. A very common theme is finding care for one species in the same genus but not specifically for the species the owner has. So this made me curious. Are there any species within a genus out there that would require different care from one another? Would a general rule be care goes by genus and not species?

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Yes. Thrixopelma is an example.

Ockerti is arboreal and the rest are terrestrial.

Most of the care for a genus is the same. Some species may require slightly more care/sub/heat etc, but not much.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Another would be Aphonopelma. A. seemanni is to be kept humid with burrowing room, A. chalcodes is to be kept dry and non-burrowing.

ChrisTy

Arachnoaddict
Another would be Aphonopelma. A. seemanni is to be kept humid with burrowing room, A. chalcodes is to be kept dry and non-burrowing.
Good point! I should've remembered that since I own an A seemani..... Funny I have been researching and keeping for over a year now and I still feel like a very green newbie. You learn something new everyday!

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight

I keep my A. seemanni the same way but, I have seen others keep them in a desert set up and still thrive. Thoughts?

ChrisTy

Arachnoaddict
IME (which is still fairly new with this species) I started off with a drier enclosure and my seemani didn't seem to relax and settle in quite well. I bumped up the moisture and added ground cover. Really it could have been one change or both, but within hours my seemani finally started to relax and settle. I don't have a ton of moisture in there, but it would seem that at least bumping the moisture was beneficial.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I keep my A. seemanni the same way but, I have seen others keep them in a desert set up and still thrive. Thoughts?
You can keep an adult T. stirmi in a very dry enclosure as well. Doesn't mean the spider is comfortable!

awiec

Arachnoprince
Sericopelma has different care depending on the species, some are more scrub land, other more tropical

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Mine sat in his water dish when I kept him like that. I didn't have any clue they liked humidity, just observed and added moisture till he looked comfortable. Two water dishes were not enough. I now keep part of the sub moist, which he seems to like. I also blocked part of the top off to hold a little more in.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pamphobeteus is another genus with different care within it, most Pamphobeteus should be kept somewhat more humid and yet Pamphobeteus sp mascara are found in dry scrubland in Ecuador meaning keep them like a Grammostola sp.

I should add that Pamphobeteus sp are tough as old boots so most will probably adapt.
I've also heard Pampho sp mascara have in the recent past been found in coastal rainforests so it proves that sp can adapt