Carapace stuck on C. darlingi

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I did a search for threads regarding a carapace stuck on after a molt and the answers are SO mixed, so here I am. I also did not find answers specific to horned baboon species.

My 2-3" juvie female C. darlingi molted either yesterday or today, and her carapace is stuck. I tried to use a wet cotton swab to get it off, to no avail. What is my next step? How detrimental is a stuck carapace? It isn't aligned entirely... her eyes are uncovered. Her chelicerae and sucking stomach molted perfectly. Might she be okay with it? 20181010_233610.jpg

Theneil

Arachnoprince
i can't speak from experience but i imagine she should be fine.

is it just me or is the abdomen a bit oddly shapped?

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
I did some reading too lol but didn't find how serious a stuck carapace is but some people noted that it just fell off after several hours or used small tweezers gently. hopefully it'll just fall off tho :) p.s. update on my sling, i now have pet web lol

Last edited by a moderator:

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Current position isn’t hindering a thing for your T. Give it a day or so, and try to grasp the old carapace with some tweezers (long tongs would work, but are unwieldy for precise work). Your T will probably try to move away and do some of the work for you, or just lift gently. I had the same thing happen once with a pretty sizable portion of the opisthosoma, it took a few days, but all was well.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks yall! This is the second bad molt for one of my C. darlingi in a short amount of time and the other one ended up not making it, so I was extra worried! Thank you for reiterating what my logical brain knew but my worried T keeper brain was trying to override lol

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I did a search for threads regarding a carapace stuck on after a molt and the answers are SO mixed, so here I am. I also did not find answers specific to horned baboon species.

My 2-3" juvie female C. darlingi molted either yesterday or today, and her carapace is stuck. I tried to use a wet cotton swab to get it off, to no avail. What is my next step? How detrimental is a stuck carapace? It isn't aligned entirely... her eyes are uncovered. Her chelicerae and sucking stomach molted perfectly. Might she be okay with it? View attachment 289121

I've had this happen, just leave it, it will come off in next molt. It's not detrimental.

Also, in some cases a carapace that remains on the T may be adhered to the region between their 2 body segments. That's not an area I would recommend tampering with. I had a "smithi" who would periodically get her carapace stuck in that region. There's no way to remove it safely in my experience. The next molt it would be gone. For now your T will have a little hat.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
My G. pulchra has either a piece of abdomen or carapace stuck at the junction of the abdomen and carapace after the last molt, and I tugged gently at it the same day as the molt and it didn’t come off so I left it. She is doing fine so I didn’t bother with it anymore.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
20181011_224048.jpg

It would seem a hat is no longer fashionable!

I am concerned now about a wet molt though ):

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Indeed :) That is a 32 oz deli cup... she webbed over the entrances to all her burrows and had this molt on the surface. She is only about 2.5-3"
Nice, I had a feeling that was a 32 oz deil. I have a few 32 oz's to drop some juvi Avics in. The 32 oz size is perfect for small juvi Avics because it will be a temporary home.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wander what killed it?
It looked like she had a wet molt. I need to do more research on what exactly that means for the vital parts of a T and why it is such a detriment, but from everything I have read the survival rate for wet molts is incredibly low ):

spacelord

Arachnosquire
It looked like she had a wet molt. I need to do more research on what exactly that means for the vital parts of a T and why it is such a detriment, but from everything I have read the survival rate for wet molts is incredibly low ):
Is that from having humidity to high?

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Is that from having humidity to high?
No. a "Wet" molt is not actually just from getting wet. it is when something causes the exoskeleton (and probably internal parts) of the tarantula to not develope correctly and the tarantula usually looks rather deformed after molting.

spacelord

Arachnosquire
No. a "Wet" molt is not actually just from getting wet. it is when something causes the exoskeleton (and probably internal parts) of the tarantula to not develope correctly and the tarantula usually looks rather deformed after molting.
Is it not weird how they can just out of the blue get sick or have problems? I guess it comes with every hobby. I have done the R.C. hobby and talk about a $$$ hobby i dumped a couple grand in a month befor for repairs and new toys. As well as video games now a days take alot of money. This is alot more pleasant and i love speaking in this forum you guys rock! I have my 2 brand new t's and a couple of people said i had my enclosure properly set up here so i am stoked to follow and learn and aquire more if need be. Keep on keepin on!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is it not weird how they can just out of the blue get sick or have problems? I guess it comes with every hobby. I have done the R.C. hobby and talk about a $$$ hobby i dumped a couple grand in a month befor for repairs and new toys. As well as video games now a days take alot of money. This is alot more pleasant and i love speaking in this forum you guys rock! I have my 2 brand new t's and a couple of people said i had my enclosure properly set up here so i am stoked to follow and learn and aquire more if need be. Keep on keepin on!
RC rocks! Thinking of getting back into it, with LiPo batteries instead of nitro

spacelord

Arachnosquire
Yepp i was into the huge lipo powered trucks. But anyways im going inside to observe my new tarantulas im not touching theese like the baby pink toe that i accidentally killed i guess. First try never works good for me lol. Hopefully my substrate dries out properly. Im not the type of person to do any planning lol but i do the best i can :) and wow you've been on here since 2006 and ive only just begun