Carabus nemoralis

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Found a small group of these while tromping through the woods near work. 3 small slugs and 2 earthworms have already disappeared from their container...not sure where they find the time with all the 'beetle-makin' they've been up to:

Just one old thread on these...anybody successfully get babies here?

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's funny how different neighborhoods in the same metro area can represent such differing numbers of this import. I used to see these very regularly when I lived on the other side of town, but here on the southside encounters are rare.

I've noticed you always represent colors very well in your photographs. I don't think I've ever come across the larvae of C. nemoralis, which is strange, come to think of it.

Remember when themed lunchboxes used to come with matching-themed plastic thermoses (like Star Wars, for example)? Well, I used to give my mom all kinds of hell for putting milk in these thermoses. Juice was fine, or even chocolate milk, but regular milk took on that slight taste of plastic that I, being a bugboy and not yet a bugman, characteristically and regularly described as "beetle milk", because it smelled, even tasted exactly the same as the defensive odor from C. nemoralis!

Still buggin'

Peter

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
they are definitly on my top list for wanted beetles :drool: i wish they were down here in fla.:( with all of the building going on it's very hard to find any native beetles here.anymore, ya have to go way far away to find any sp.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
It's funny how different neighborhoods in the same metro area can represent such differing numbers of this import. I used to see these very regularly when I lived on the other side of town, but here on the southside encounters are rare.

I've noticed you always represent colors very well in your photographs. I don't think I've ever come across the larvae of C. nemoralis, which is strange, come to think of it.

Remember when themed lunchboxes used to come with matching-themed plastic thermoses (like Star Wars, for example)? Well, I used to give my mom all kinds of hell for putting milk in these thermoses. Juice was fine, or even chocolate milk, but regular milk took on that slight taste of plastic that I, being a bugboy and not yet a bugman, characteristically and regularly described as "beetle milk", because it smelled, even tasted exactly the same as the defensive odor from C. nemoralis!

Still buggin'

Peter
Peter, I have more luck finding beetles in isolated, unkempt city parks here than in the "wilds" near my house- lots more old hardwoods from early settlement.

Thanks for the compliment re: colors. It's mostly just ineptitude on my part. I suck at using artificial light, so usually wait for a ray of sunlight for picture time.

I haven't noticed the defensive odor yet, but the memories of forgotten and unwashed thermoses/lunchpails turn my stomach...I was a dirty, neglectful child!

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I was a dirty, neglectful child!
LOL, what has changed, other than your age?;P

I find beetle larva all the time when working in my yard and flower bed. Now I am going to have to keep them for observation. One more little project to take on. Nice pics Zonbo! FYI to you and BICS, I will be heading down to the White Salmon area in April for some herping and bug hunting. Let me know if you think you might want to join I will give you the dates. Just hit me up via email if you are interested. Last year was fun but in April I wont bring my kids and can get more Herping and bug collecting done.

Cheers,

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I love the new avatar, Travis. I will be chomping at the bit to get out of the house in April & really dig that area, so am tentatively in for the ride. Holla when you have a clear picture of the dates, sir. Maybe less wind this time 'round;)

P.S. You're in an interesting area geographically for inverts...it would be interesting to see what develops from those grubs you're finding in the flower beds. Pix?