captivity info on the European garden spider

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
I'm starting to keep species from the Netherlands, and the first one i'm looking at is the European garden spider. I see them everywhere but i would like to keep one myself, can anyone give me advice on the size of the enclosure, the decorations i schould use and what specific insects i should feed it.

Thanks for the help!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I wouldn't keep in captivity Araneus diadematus. They need a pretty big and tall cage for create their impressive and quite big, web-house. I always raised those in the wild in my country home in Summer, offering in a gentle way the crickets directly in their web.

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't keep in captivity Araneus diadematus. They need a pretty big and tall cage for create their impressive and quite big, web-house. I always raised those in the wild in my country home in Summer, offering in a gentle way the crickets directly in their web.
okay, thanks for the advice, i'll start somewhere else.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
okay, thanks for the advice, i'll start somewhere else.
Well, aside for what I've said prior, you can, technically, man. IMO it only needs a quite tall and large enclosure (a glass one will be perfect). Yeah, to an extent, a bit of a waste of space for someone, indeed, but if you like those in captivity that is what I suggest.

Tigrosa

Arachnosquire
I would go screen enclosure, not glass. They cannot thrive with stagnant air.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Exoterra would be great from the other posts. Good airflow, huge, and front opening :) Although, pretty expensive...