Captive kept Lasiadora Parahybana

AracnoDreams

Arachnopeon
If I don't know the age of my female Lasiadora Parahybana how can I tell if she's mature ? I do know she is 5" or so

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
With females, you usually wait till they are about 2/3 their full adult size and with an LP species, they probably mature around the 6inch mark if im not mistaken. Its not like males where you can see the obvious bulbous pedipalps unfortunately. But if she looks close to an adult size she is probably ready. I think females can mate once they have a fully formed "spermathacae" or however you spell it.

Might need to wait a year or 2 before she is fully mature. Are you looking to breed?

BTW - Post pics of her id love to see her. My LP grows like a weed lol.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
If she's ever molted in your care, you can check the molt. A female that is sexually mature will have sclerotized or darkened spermathecae whereas a female that is not sexually mature will have spermathecae that is the same color as the surrounding exoskeleton.

This is a picture of the spermathecae of a young female C. versicolor who was NOT sexually mature. You can see that the spermathecae is the same color at the surrounding area:

And this is a picture of the spermathecae of an older female A. avicularia (it's a different species, but the spermathecae is very similar to the versicolor) who is most definitely sexually mature. You can see that her spermathecae is a different color from any other surrounding area: