Captive Bred Tityus silvestris

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I bred the pair in mid May. Born yesterday or today. Around 8 month gestation period. Temps around 75-85 degrees with a wide range of temperatures in the tank. Humidity kept fairly high, condensation formed on the walls daily, the soil was never allowed to become dripping wet but was still very dark, with good ventalation.

I have no idea how many babies. I'm going to leave mom alone now that I've seperated her and got my pictures. She was living as part of a breeding trio. The other female arrived gravid and produced a brood soon after arriving. That brood was basically eaten by the tank mates while I was away from home. Needless to say I'm very happy. :D

John

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Very nice! It's people like you that the US scorpion hobby needs, it's doing pretty badly right now, IMO. Most of the breeders have left, but I'm glad you're taking the initiative and getting things done.

Congrats and best of luck with them :)

Last edited:

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You planning on selling any? And congrats John.

Matt
Propably not, at least not many. I'm planning on keeping at least 10 for my breeding purposes. Any leftovers might be available, but the brood looks fairly small. The second female should have her babies in a few months. I'll offer some at that point. Right now my main goal is to get a nice breeding group that I can keep going.

John

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very nice! It's people like you that the US scorpion hobby needs, it's doing pretty badly right now, IMO. Most of the breeders have left, but I'm glad you're taking the initiative and getting things done.

Congrats and best of luck with them :)
Thanks :eek: I know what you mean about the US hobby. It can be hard to look at the gallery sometimes. I keep thinking "we had that". I wonder were is that species and it's babies.

John

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks :eek: I know what you mean about the US hobby. It can be hard to look at the gallery sometimes. I keep thinking "we had that". I wonder were is that species and it's babies.

John
EXACTLY! I feel like such a dumb<edit> when I look back through my pictures and wish I still had all those species. So many Centruroides, few Tityus, Androctonus..ughh...I want to time travel 3 years and steal from myself.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Good work John! Very wise to establish a group for yourself first and "serve the public" later....Great that you bred a rarer Tityus species :) Mine are still in instar 4-5 so they need to grow a bit more. I ordered 2 adult pairs at the beginning of this year for 150 euro but these where all DOA and after that I was lucky to be able to order some 2nd instars from a German breeding company......

The US are just an enormous country, you guys should organize better. Species like T.silvestris, T.bastosi, T.asthenes etc where imported into the US. People have these species. Then there are websites, so breeders can communicate and meet online.......So, why isn't it working optimally on your side of the pond, I ask myself. Maybe some of the more serious breeders should hook up and make a small circle of breeders.....

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Good work John! Very wise to establish a group for yourself first and "serve the public" later....Great that you bred a rarer Tityus species :) Mine are still in instar 4-5 so they need to grow a bit more. I ordered 2 adult pairs at the beginning of this year for 150 euro but these where all DOA and after that I was lucky to be able to order some 2nd instars from a German breeding company......

The US are just an enormous country, you guys should organize better. Species like T.silvestris, T.bastosi, T.asthenes etc where imported into the US. People have these species. Then there are websites, so breeders can communicate and meet online.......So, why isn't it working optimally on your side of the pond, I ask myself. Maybe some of the more serious breeders should hook up and make a small circle of breeders.....

Hi Michiel, I agree that we need more organization in the US. A few of us do message each other, share info, and sell/trade babies. Not really organized. It's a slow start, but we'll get there. It is a shame to see where we were a few years ago. We lost so many species. No one was breeding what was here. To bad for me that I didn't get into the scorpion hobby until after everything was lost. All those Centruroides. At this point we just need to breed, and breed every new thing we get.

DOAs suck. I've lost a few rare species to DOAs and havn't been able to get replacements, I can't find them available as instars even. It's good that you got your silvestris, even instars.

John

Envyizm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats John! I wouldn't sweat the low count for this brood. Hopefully you'll get a bigger brood with your other female. Good thing about Tityus is they don't seem to have much of a mortality rate amongst the instars.

RodG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Great work!!! I just love this genus of scorpions.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Congrats John! I wouldn't sweat the low count for this brood. Hopefully you'll get a bigger brood with your other female. Good thing about Tityus is they don't seem to have much of a mortality rate amongst the instars.

I'm not to disapointed with the brood size. It's way more than i had last week. I also noticed that smaller broods tend to have larger, healthier, babies, at least in general.

John

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not to disapointed with the brood size. It's way more than i had last week. I also noticed that smaller broods tend to have larger, healthier, babies, at least in general.

John
+ 1 (smaller broods of larger young)
@all,

These species are smaller and thus have less young than larger species...There is a correlation between maternal size and brood size.....

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nice man i should have got a few of those when i had the chance haha

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
new brood
None of my my females(2) have had large numbers of babies. The babies are fairly big compared to the mother

Attachments

Animalia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good job John. Really like the pics. =D

And michael is right as for the whole breeders project. lol

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
very nice john,congrats.
i have a trio of the bastosi now i am trying to get going.
silvestris look awesome.
great pics
andy