Captive Bred Geosesarma/Vampire Crabs?

Adiantum

Arachnopeon
I've posted this on another forum website as well. I thought someone here might have some insight though.

Anyone know of a source for captive bred Geosesarma sp. crabs?

I'd love to get some in 5-6 months but don't really want to get wild caught crabs if possible. Wild populations of these crabs seem to be very much over exploited for the pet trade. Various internet sources claim that they breed readily but I have yet to find anywhere selling captive bred animals. I'd also expect that captive bred animals would likely do better than those wild caught.

Is there anyone on here keeping these crabs that has been able to breed them?

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Good luck finding some cb specimens, most probably won’t give any away at the moment. I know petzonesd should have some in stock, although they’re guaranteed to be wc

Adiantum

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the suggestion!

I would be happy to purchase some from a fellow hobbyist. But if that (or finding cb crabs at all) seems impossible then I’ll buy some wc. I would like to try breeding them myself anyhow.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
how hard are they to keep? wouldn't they need deep sand to burrow like 6 feet worth. with a water line?

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Not terribly hard, sort of like dart frogs but without all the need for tons of extra plants. I kept mine in a 10 gallon container with reptisoil and a bunch of leaf litter, so there was a buildup in micro fauna over time. These are 100% fresh water so they don’t need any saltwater ar all, which could actually kill them I believe

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Not terribly hard, sort of like dart frogs but without all the need for tons of extra plants. I kept mine in a 10 gallon container with reptisoil and a bunch of leaf litter, so there was a buildup in micro fauna over time. These are 100% fresh water so they don’t need any saltwater ar all, which could actually kill them I believe
Yeah I watched a video on care and the setup looked nice.

Adiantum

Arachnopeon
Yes, that’s my understanding that they’re supposed to be easy to keep. They can be kept much like dart frogs because they’re amphibious/semi-terrestrial but do need enough water to submerge themselves. They apparently don’t burrow like fiddler crabs and other land crabs.

paumotu

Arachnobaron
Yes, that’s my understanding that they’re supposed to be easy to keep. They can be kept much like dart frogs because they’re amphibious/semi-terrestrial but do need enough water to submerge themselves. They apparently don’t burrow like fiddler crabs and other land crabs.
Orin McMonigle has 2 books on keeping them if you’re interested in learning more. Supposedly they’re the best on crab care, so take a look if you want.

Adiantum

Arachnopeon
Orin McMonigle has 2 books on keeping them if you’re interested in learning more. Supposedly they’re the best on crab care, so take a look if you want.
I recently came across those. Good to know that they come recommended!