Problem Cant upload picture - says its too big?

Moose

Arachnopeon
as the title says whenever i try to upload a picture, it says the file is too big. any way to make the file size smaller? thanks

tjrd83

Arachnosquire
You can upload it to a site like photobucket first. When you upload any file there it first makes it a smaller file size. You can then download it back to your computer or just link it here on the boards.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
What has always worked for me was posting my pics on facebook and then downloading them from FB onto the computer and uploading from the computer.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
you can open a picture in MSPaint and resize that way. i only have the new version that comes with windows 7 so i don't remember the menu selection choices... but "control w" (hold control key and push w) is the keyboard short cut for it as long as i can remember

for most modern cameras reducing it to 25% of height and width should get you small enough. that will, real roughly, reduce file size by a factor of 16

edit:
funny, just saw this post of mine in another thread:
i really like photobucket. you can upload reasonably large pictures to a free account and arbitrarily large for ~$20 a year. it has automatically generated code for img or url tags and i believe autogenerates thumbnails and the code to use them. you can generally make one post and use it on almost any forums unless they have some kind of weirdo formatting or rules about the number of images per post. you also get some stats on your pics for free on pb and i am a bit of a stat wh--enthusiast. iirc, they even have mass uploader options and you can make a very intricate directory structure for keeping all your pictures organized. iirc they support tags, title, and descriptions for all the pics you upload also

i do believe they have non-exclusive like, IP rights to all the media you upload but that is pretty standard and has been part of the EULA and/or TOS for every free media host i have ever actually looked into. youtube definitely does it. even facebook does it

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I just found out that if you right click and choose "save image as" instead of downloading the file will be much smaller.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Last edited:

florip

Arachnopeon
as the title says whenever i try to upload a picture, it says the file is too big. any way to make the file size smaller? thanks
Hello,
I use Photoslim to make my pictures smaller. It is simple to use and the quality of the pictures is still pretty good. Highly recommendable.
Link: http://photoslimhq.com

photoslim_ss_en.png

Femangel

Arachnosquire
I just use plain old paint to resize a picture :) i get the same problem all the time as all my pictures start out as beeing 3 to 5 MB

kristlkrost

Arachnopeon
You can upload it to a site like photobucket first. When you upload any file there it first makes it a smaller file size. You can then download it back to your computer or just link it here on the boards.
I had to sign in to thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was going crazy trying to post a pic to my web/trivia site..Never had trouble before really but thank you!! Worked like a charm