Can't stop wanting to buy more Ts!

KevinFrancisco

Arachnopeon
I started with this hobby about a month ago and I already got a G Rosea, A Genic, and N colorativillosus. Now I want more such as an A Versicolor, L Parahybana, H Incei, those ornamentals, babboons, and a lot more..GAHHH!!!!

Should I? :wall::wall::wall:

Saf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You should. :)

Providing you have the finances, space etc, if you want more T's, then why not? ;)

Only proviso being that especially with the Ornamentals and Baboons you mention, that you be aware you're taking on a whole other dimension of tarantulas, that are not usually recommended for beginners.

Be sure to research thoroughly, and know exactly what you're getting into. Don't just rely on internet caresheets, as they can carry a lot of conflicting information.

Use the search function here, and read up all you can on the species that takes your interest, and if you're still sure and confident in yourself that you will be able to care for such extremely fast, often defensive, and very potent (strong venom) tarantulas, then proceed with caution, and enjoy your new T's.

Just be aware of the potential damage they can do, and specific care requirements and be sure you're up for that.

Many far more experienced keepers than I, recommend taking more gradual steps up to such more advanced species as these. But at the end of the day, a lot of common sense, maturity, research and respect for your tarantulas will go a long way to help you prepare for the responsibilities of keeping such beautiful creatures.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As SAF said, if you have the money and the space, just do it! It's so awesome to have several different ones, theres always someone molting here, and they're always up to something! It's so much fun!

KevinFrancisco

Arachnopeon
You should. :)

Providing you have the finances, space etc, if you want more T's, then why not? ;)

Only proviso being that especially with the Ornamentals and Baboons you mention, that you be aware you're taking on a whole other dimension of tarantulas, that are not usually recommended for beginners.

Be sure to research thoroughly, and know exactly what you're getting into. Don't just rely on internet caresheets, as they can carry a lot of conflicting information.

Use the search function here, and read up all you can on the species that takes your interest, and if you're still sure and confident in yourself that you will be able to care for such extremely fast, often defensive, and very potent (strong venom) tarantulas, then proceed with caution, and enjoy your new T's.

Just be aware of the potential damage they can do, and specific care requirements and be sure you're up for that.

Many far more experienced keepers than I, recommend taking more gradual steps up to such more advanced species as these. But at the end of the day, a lot of common sense, maturity, research and respect for your tarantulas will go a long way to help you prepare for the responsibilities of keeping such beautiful creatures.
I didn't know that caresheets on the net conflict with each other. Thanks for the heads up. Personally I think I can handle the advanced species of Ts but like what you said, I'll try and take more gradual steps. But I'll def get a versicolor or a parahybana soon! :razz:

Any personal suggestions of a cool species of Ts? (and why?)

Thanks!

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would highly recommend you get an A.versicolor. I love mine to death, she's awesome!

Of pokies, I only have an ornata, but I can definetly recommend that one too, as he's a real looker. G.pulchra is a musthave,so is the GBB. Those would be the species I recommend in the first place, because they are great little spiders, and such cuties!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
woah that is just so awesome haha! but doesnt it take up much of your time when you have a lot of species? feeding and changing water? is it "balance-able"?
I am down to (Or is it up to?) 39 T's.. It takes me 30 minutes to feed, water, & clean their enclosures..

I have had 100's & it took days to feed, water & clean enclosures..

If you want to move up.. If you get a pokie.. I suggest getting a P. regalis.. The P. ornata from what I have read has a nastier bite.. Start with a regalis & you get the beauty wwith less of a bite.. (It still has a naughty bite,, Just not as bad..)

KevinFrancisco

Arachnopeon
I would highly recommend you get an A.versicolor. I love mine to death, she's awesome!
Really? How so? I find their color really badass. So are GBBs.

Of course I should just start with slings right? What are the pros and cons when starting with slings?

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Really? How so? I find their color really badass. So are GBBs.

Of course I should just start with slings right? What are the pros and cons when starting with slings?
Well, they say slings are more prone to deaths, but I've never had an avic sling die on me.. The pros are of course that you get to see them grow and develop. It was so awesome when my versi molted, and I started seeing her butt go redder!

My versi is a real sweetheart, she's very calm, has never pooped on me, and can sit on my finger for the longest time. She's also cute as a button, and a very stunning lady.. I can't praise her enough!

My GBB is somewhat bitchy, but I wouldn't have her any other way.. She is stunning!

woah that is just so awesome haha! but doesnt it take up much of your time when you have a lot of species? feeding and changing water? is it "balance-able"?
It does take up some time, yes, but it's still alot of fun. I still become really giddy when one of them take down their prey or dunk into the waterdish!

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Please by all means get an Avic. I have an A. Metallica and we just love her. She's the one that's actually broken the fear of spiders from the wifey, as the colors are beautiful and she's so calm for such a fast tarantula.

And then you can add the ever so popular L. Parahybana. Can never get enough of these, and I have to get another one.

I haven't ventured into the OW area. I'll be holding off on that for awhile.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Personally, I think of a sling as the longer road. If you have a short long-period (oxymoron) attention span, you should just get a MF. Slings are good for watching them slowly grow up over a period of time, and juvies should seem about right. Although, I wouldn't know- I don't have a juvie.

KevinFrancisco

Arachnopeon
My versi is a real sweetheart, she's very calm, has never pooped on me, and can sit on my finger for the longest time. She's also cute as a button, and a very stunning lady.. I can't praise her enough!
Wow. Cool man...Did you raise her from a sling?

And then you can add the ever so popular L. Parahybana. Can never get enough of these, and I have to get another one.
Been looking for a sling of L Parahybana. Can't wait to raise one on my own.

Personally, I think of a sling as the longer road. If you have a short long-period (oxymoron) attention span, you should just get a MF. Slings are good for watching them slowly grow up over a period of time, and juvies should seem about right. Although, I wouldn't know- I don't have a juvie.
I think I'll go with slings from now on. Or juvies. I wanna see them actually growing.

KevinFrancisco

Arachnopeon
I am down to (Or is it up to?) 39 T's.. It takes me 30 minutes to feed, water, & clean their enclosures..

I have had 100's & it took days to feed, water & clean enclosures..

If you want to move up.. If you get a pokie.. I suggest getting a P. regalis.. The P. ornata from what I have read has a nastier bite.. Start with a regalis & you get the beauty wwith less of a bite.. (It still has a naughty bite,, Just not as bad..)
....So many cool species to collect, so little time (and budget). :wall:

poppaJT

Arachnopeon
Get an Aphonopelma anax or hentzi!! I have an anax and he's awesome!! They're not very colorful but mine is very docile. They do get pretty mean if you bother their hideout!

jdmjames

Arachnopeon
lol i have this same problem, i got my PZB for free and a week later i bought 2 a.versicolor slings 1 didnt make it :( i was going to get a p.regalis along with the 2 but figure i'd give it a go with the versi's to get the hang of something quick and of slings. im hoping to order another versi and finally a regalis for an early christmas present. this is such an addicting hobby! its horrible. lol :p