Cant Stop The Mold!!!

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have tryed everything. My Ts are each in a sideways 10gal tank. There is about two inches of ecoearth and the entire front is screen. I always get mold! It is usualy white and fuzzy. It is mostly growing close to where the sticks meet the dirt. Does anybody know how I can prevent this? I already replaced all the substrate and reboiled all the sticks and things in the enclosure.

Also, I know mold is bad, but how exactaly can it harm Ts? I heard that it can grow in their book lungs, is this true?

RoseT

Arachnosquire
What kind of sticks are you using?. I know maple wood is no good for humid enclosures as it molds quick when exposed to water. Ive read where minimal mold is not as bad as others say, but its definitely a bug IMO, and can attract mites, which I wouldnt want either. Id just play it safe and make sure you limit if not fully get rid of it.

CFleming

Arachnopeon
How often are you misting the enclosure? You may want to try misting less often. You could also try putting a small rotating fan in the room. This will greatly increase air circulation.

Also another little trick I learned while keeping snakes, is to use a baby syringe, you can buy them from a drug store, and inject the water in the bottom on the substrate. This allows the top of the substrate to dry a bit, while the damp bottom will still produce humidity.

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In one enclosure I have gum tree sticks and in the other I have a peice of drift wood I got at the LPS

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think you are just watering too much. If you are getting that much mold I am pretty sure you could cut back on the water. I keep almost all of my spiders on the dry side. I never have any problems with mold.

If you have a species that needs a good amount of humidity I would suggest seeding your enclosure with isopods. Good luck.

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bought some driftwood from PetSmart and all the pieces I used would get moldy, needless to say I threw it all out and no longer use it, I have never had any problems with cork bark or the pieces or wood I've collected around the house getting mold, but the driftwood was definitely bad. I think that is the issue.

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have A. versicolors so I need to keep the humidity on the higher side. Whats an isopod? (dont laugh at me!) I never pay for my wood. I work at the LPS and me any my boss found a bunch of stuff while we were cleaning. She let me have it. I think paying $10 for a peice of wood is rediculus.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I currently have a A. avic that I have a little trouble keeping the humidity up. I mist every couple days but I'm worried about mold too. No visible signs of any, but when I open the enclosure it smells a little musty. I'm hoping that's ok. I have her in a pretzel jar and I made a side access door. I open it up and use a popcicle stick to stir the subtrate so it doesn't become stagnate. Being careful of course not to disturb my girl. Seems to help.

Dreadz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Maybe you should try a new type of substrate like vermiculite or potting soil. Also let the substrate dry out before misting it again and make sure that the T's have full waterbowls.

lotusracer

Arachnopeon
I have A. versicolors so I need to keep the humidity on the higher side.
Having elevated humidity and having a swampy substrate are two different matters. The versis probably don't even use the substrate so you definitely don't need that. Swampy substrate will grow mold, as you know. If you were to replace the wet substrate with a dry substrate and an open source of moisture like a pan or cup filled with water (surface area is a factor) the enclosure should attain a humidity similar to what you have now but without all the nasties. Cover the screen top and you'll maintain the moisture inside with less loss to the environment. Keeping a higher temperature would tend to encourage higher humidity than lower.

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Less frequent misting should help :) or even try switching the type of substrate or the odds n ends you have inside the enclosure (logs, hideouts, plants, etc.) and see if that does anything for ya

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
I'm working on a mold killer. Tried misting with salt water, but I think I'm going to use garden sulfer. Stay the heck away from plant fertilizer and remove unconsumed food material.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Use sphagnum peatmoss!!!!

It's naturally slightly acidic, and that makes it anti-molding, antimicrobial in general in fact. It is dense enough to hold a burrow when moist, and it retains moisture as well as just about any substrate you could get. No need to mix it. No need for any potting mix garbage.100% peatmoss FTW.

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Next time I get more substrate Ill try the peat moss. I still have two bricks of eco eath I have to use first. I dont keep the enclosure swampy by any means. It is usualy slightly damp to the touch and no watter drips out of it at all.