Can't resist: Most beautiful terrestrial

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Just posted these in my picture-thread, but since not everyone looks at that, I don't want to keep these pictures from the rest of you people. No matter what species these are now for real, Euathlus sp. "blue femur" (formerly called Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi (which was not in the hobby ever according to some knowledable souls on here) has been reclassified as Maraca pulcherrimaklaasi I keep mine labled as E. sp. "blue femur" as suggested if you read on) these are the most beautiful terrestrial in my opinion. Nothing, absolutely nothing beats their look to me! We all have our favorites, this is certainly mine regarding looks terrestrial-wise!

Reported origin: Chile (in comparison to Ecuador for the now M. pulcherrimaklaasi)

"Hobby name": Euathlus sp. "blue" or "blue femur" (suspected to be actually a member of the Homoeomma genus by Dr. Longhorn for example)

Keeping: Not the best eater, will go on lengthy fasts occasionaly (much like G. rosea), max size around 5", dry substrate, waterdish that I overflow when refilling, hide (that mine never really uses unless she's really not ok with something), room temperature ~22°C

Behavior: My specimen (and those I have seen in friends collections) is usually somewhat skittish, but not bitey in general. Never kicked a single hair, rather runs away (not far, just out of the way), quite docile and high threshold (at least mine) for disturbances usually. If you come across these I personally would suggest them. Extremely slow growth rate (raising 3 slings of these as well) They are also quite fine for people starting out, if they won't get scared when they suddenly start fasting. :D Somewhat rarely seen in the hobby though.

So, here are some pics of this T:

"Gemma", Euathlus sp. "blue femur" (pulcherrimaklaasi), ~4.75" female - I tried to get some good shots showing her full coloration...

"Gemma", Euathlus sp. "blue femur" (pulcherrimaklaasi), ~4.75" female - ...and ended up wanting to take shot after shot because of her obvious beauty!

"Gemma", Euathlus sp. "blue femur" (pulcherrimaklaasi), ~4.75" female - I'm dead serious when I state my opinion that she's breathtakingly beautiful, but judge yourself...

"Gemma", Euathlus sp. "blue femur" (pulcherrimaklaasi), ~4.75" female - Doesn't get much better than this, does it?

"Gemma", Euathlus sp. "blue femur" (pulcherrimaklaasi), ~4.75" female - moved somewhat, so different angle now

"Gemma", Euathlus sp. "blue femur" (pulcherrimaklaasi), ~4.75" female - same result: I held my breath!

"Gemma", Euathlus sp. "blue femur" (pulcherrimaklaasi), ~4.75" female - when she moved towards her burrow, I figured it is time to stop bugging her.

"Gemma", Euathlus sp. "blue femur" (pulcherrimaklaasi), ~4.75" female - One, last, shot! Closeup!

For comparison since these two species are so often mixed up by sellers:

"Jewel", Homoeomma sp. "blue", ~5.5" female - please explain to me how these two can be mixed up when comparing them? These are from Peru btw.

"Jewel", Homoeomma sp. "blue", ~5.5" female - before you buy either, best advice I can give is make sure they are what they're sold as!

This girl is somewhat defensive, very skittish, but a good eater. Mediocre fast grower.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi blue is indeed a very dynamically colored T for sure, it's one of my top 50 favorite South American T's. This is one T that I would like to breed. I like your Jewel too - does she hole up, or do you see her out..?

awiec

Arachnoprince
At a quick glance I can see why they are mixed up a lot but upon a good look I can certainly tell the color difference and their build looks different (to me anyway). I'll throw in thrixopelma cyaneolum into the ring too, I'm not sure why people would get that one mixed up with the two you show above as you got the "red rump" and the gold "T" on the carapace to differentiate; guess when people see blue and leg stripes they just throw on a name and not bother looking. But I know my thrix is not similar behavior wise to your spiders as she is very very chill and just moseys in and out of her hide and would make the perfect beginner T (if not for the price and availability). I still want a H. sp Blue since you started posting about her in your photo thread but I got an A.seemani BCF to tide me over until I can, which she also can be mistaken for them if not for her creamy orange setae under her.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi blue is indeed a very dynamically colored T for sure, it's one of my top 50 favorite South American T's. This is one T that I would like to breed. I like your Jewel too - does she hole up, or do you see her out..?
She's out nearly 24/7 and rarely if ever uses her hide. Usually only when something seriously annoys her. Mostly she'll just skitter out of the way.

At a quick glance I can see why they are mixed up a lot but upon a good look I can certainly tell the color difference and their build looks different (to me anyway). I'll throw in thrixopelma cyaneolum into the ring too, I'm not sure why people would get that one mixed up with the two you show above as you got the "red rump" and the gold "T" on the carapace to differentiate; guess when people see blue and leg stripes they just throw on a name and not bother looking. But I know my thrix is not similar behavior wise to your spiders as she is very very chill and just moseys in and out of her hide and would make the perfect beginner T (if not for the price and availability). I still want a H. sp Blue since you started posting about her in your photo thread but I got an A.seemani BCF to tide me over until I can, which she also can be mistaken for them if not for her creamy orange setae under her.
T. cyaneolum looks nothing like the E. sp. "blue femur", but reminds somewhat of H. sp. "blue" - except for the red satae on the rump. The coloration itself is also distintively different imo.

awiec

Arachnoprince
She's out nearly 24/7 and rarely if ever uses her hide. Usually only when something seriously annoys her. Mostly she'll just skitter out of the way.

T. cyaneolum looks nothing like the E. sp. "blue femur", but reminds somewhat of H. sp. "blue" - except for the red satae on the rump. The coloration itself is also distintively different imo.
I know this but I've seen a few vendors label them wrong, no idea why as the red is very distinctive but as long as I know exactly what I'm buying I'm not too worried about what the seller believes it is.

Zeek

Arachnopeon
My first T which I acquired in June is a Eu sp blue, (roughly same size as yours) she is a stunner and its hard to capture those blue femurs in pics! When I got her she was in pre-molt and wouldn't eat, was in her hide constantly, was a very stressful time cause I was constantly worried about her but I left her alone and she molted end of Aug. I was so pleased for all the useful info on these boards.

Now she is never in her hide and she eats well, she has a cricket every 3 - 4 days. I wish there was more info about this species! My Ziggy is a little bit skittish but never kicks hairs or shows any aggression. She is very fussy about substrate and the only thing she will walk on is the coconut stuff but with big coconut husk chunks in it.

Attachments

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Wow, she's a beauty, Storm. Love the purplish-blue, reminds me of some of the pokies, and the orange stripes remind me of my irminia. :)

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I picked up one of these little beauties (juvenile female) from Jamie’s Tarantulas about six months ago. She’s in desperate need of a molt (or, more accurately, I desperately waiting for her to molt) – but I agree Storm, these are gorgeous specimens. The entire genus is quite striking – my next acquisition will be an E. truculentus.

My girl - before she lost her looks.

E. pulcherrimaklaasi.jpg

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just posted these in my picture-thread, but since not everyone looks at that, I don't want to keep these pictures from the rest of you people. No matter what species these are now for real, Euathlus sp. "blue femur" (formerly called Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi (which was not in the hobby ever according to some knowledable souls on here) has been reclassified as Maraca pulcherrimaklaasi I keep mine labled as E. sp. "blue femur" as suggested if you read on) these are the most beautiful terrestrial in my opinion. Nothing, absolutely nothing beats their look to me! We all have our favorites, this is certainly mine regarding looks terrestrial-wise!

Reported origin: Chile (in comparison to Ecuador for the now M. pulcherrimaklaasi)

"Hobby name": Euathlus sp. "blue" or "blue femur" (suspected to be actually a member of the Homoeomma genus by Dr. Longhorn for example)

Keeping: Not the best eater, will go on lengthy fasts occasionaly (much like G. rosea), max size around 5", dry substrate, waterdish that I overflow when refilling, hide (that mine never really uses unless she's really not ok with something), room temperature ~22°C

Behavior: My specimen (and those I have seen in friends collections) is usually somewhat skittish, but not bitey in general. Never kicked a single hair, rather runs away (not far, just out of the way), quite docile and high threshold (at least mine) for disturbances usually. If you come across these I personally would suggest them. Extremely slow growth rate (raising 3 slings of these as well) They are also quite fine for people starting out, if they won't get scared when they suddenly start fasting. :D Somewhat rarely seen in the hobby though.

"Gemma", Euathlus sp. "blue femur" (pulcherrimaklaasi), ~4.75" female - I tried to get some good shots showing her full coloration...

"Gemma", Euathlus sp. "blue femur" (pulcherrimaklaasi), ~4.75" female - ...and ended up wanting to take shot after shot because of her obvious beauty!

"Gemma", Euathlus sp. "blue femur" (pulcherrimaklaasi), ~4.75" female - I'm dead serious when I state my opinion that she's breathtakingly beautiful, but judge yourself...

"Gemma", Euathlus sp. "blue femur" (pulcherrimaklaasi), ~4.75" female - Doesn't get much better than this, does it?

"Gemma", Euathlus sp. "blue femur" (pulcherrimaklaasi), ~4.75" female - moved somewhat, so different angle now

"Gemma", Euathlus sp. "blue femur" (pulcherrimaklaasi), ~4.75" female - same result: I held my breath!

"Gemma", Euathlus sp. "blue femur" (pulcherrimaklaasi), ~4.75" female - when she moved towards her burrow, I figured it is time to stop bugging her.

"Gemma", Euathlus sp. "blue femur" (pulcherrimaklaasi), ~4.75" female - One, last, shot! Closeup!

"Jewel", Homoeomma sp. "blue", ~5.5" female - please explain to me how these two can be mixed up when comparing them? These are from Peru btw.

"Jewel", Homoeomma sp. "blue", ~5.5" female - before you buy either, best advice I can give is make sure they are what they're sold as!

This girl is somewhat defensive, very skittish, but a good eater. Mediocre fast grower.

Enjoy!
Stunning ts storm

I was tempted a while back to jump into this slightly confusing mis-labelled often mis-sold group of ts and never quite made the jump until around 6 weeks ago when i purchased a 1/4" thrixopelma lagunas sling. Now don't get me wrong i want the t i bought to be a t.lagunas but i wouldn't be disappointed if it turned out to be 1 of these guys i mean who could be upset with a stunning blue t i know i couldnt be

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't know, NW or not - they're simply stunningly beautiful. Being very easy to take off is a bonus.

bd809piercer

Arachnopeon

Enjoy!

Attachments