cant red knees hiss?

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have heard my B. smithi "hiss" but while i heard the noise that sounded like a faint hiss she was flicking urticating bristles at me. I believe the noise is from the actual flicking and not a hiss. I think the rapid movement of there legs is what gives off the noise, perhaps i am wrong but that is what i have observed.

bananaman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
why do you PET tarantulas? you can handle them... but pet them!? pet a dog that enjoys it, not a T that will get enraged by it... they do not like contact, it is the way they percieve everything... you petting your T is the equivalent of someone shouting in your ears while forcing you to watch a kaleidoscope and shoving food down your mouth...

Freak Show

Arachnopeon
yea im now going to get lots of hate mail, but o well. so did the grizzly man..
And the grizzly man's life ended tragically as did his girlfriend's, in a terribly un-natural way because he didn't truly respect the creatures he seemed to care so much about.

Good analogy.

Thatwelder

Arachnopeon
Facts. <edit> grizzly man. I sit with mine on my shoulder but only when seated in the middle of my bed while I watch TV and yes I let her run around the bed. But I do not take her to heights in which she could injured by a human error or her own fear...they are still a wild animal at their core and they arent a dog. It's okay to love them just be mindful they are out of their element and very well may act accordingly

Last edited by a moderator:

Stemmy101

Arachnosquire
Facts. <edit> grizzly man. I sit with mine on my shoulder but only when seated in the middle of my bed while I watch TV and yes I let her run around the bed. But I do not take her to heights in which she could injured by a human error or her own fear...they are still a wild animal at their core and they arent a dog. It's okay to love them just be mindful they are out of their element and very well may act accordingly
1. This thread hasn't been active since 2006 lol
2. So you're aware that the T does not benefit from handling, in fact the only thing that can come out of it is stress to the animal, and/or potential injury or death. Can you imagine if you spooked her and she ran off the bed, or jumped off of your shoulder? If you're aware of the danger why do it. If you wanted a pet to handle you picked the wrong one

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
pleas read forum rules. Unacceptable language is not allowed. This is a family friendly website.

Her is another thread which shows how tarantula actually perceive any kind of human interaction

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
shoulder to bed is enough height to kill a tarantula regardless if it falls on the mattress or not.