Can't find answer to my problem pls help

Warwick555

Arachnopeon
I just bought my first baby tarantula 2 weeks ago, Brazilian White Knee it's so small, about the size of my pinky nail. It came in a 5x5x12 inch container. It ate a lot of pinheads. It ate yesterday. Today my dad accidentally knocked over the container it only fell on its side it was on the table, didn't fall off, impact wasn't bad. The t was buried in the substrate. I scooted the dirt to the side and found it in the death curl. Won't move, laying on its back. Is it dead? In shock?, or was it molting when this happened? I didn't see it all day because it was in its hideout, so idk, and not familiar with baby t's. I only had a Chilean Rose for several months and never seen it molt before it got stolen, so I don't have much experience. Any advice would be great, thanks.

Gman32176

Arachnopeon
If it ate yesterday, it wasn't in premolt.. Sorry man, it's probably dead.. :/ Keep it around just to be sure, but if it's already in full death curl... :(
*Edit: maybe just stress curl? I'm a dumby, excuse me.. How long has it been?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Photos, please. We need to see if it's really death curl or something else.

It may just be curled up in response to being buried and then dug up.

Warwick555

Arachnopeon
It's been an hour and hasn't budged a bit. I'm starting to think it's dead, but was buried much

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
Looks kind of dead. But! You can always set up a little deli for it with substrate and see what happens (just in case)

Bugmom

Arachnolord
That enclosure though was way too big for a sling that small (not your fault, it came that way, it sounds like). If you'd like to try again with a sling, a smaller enclosure is better. For that size, there's no need to have an enclosure more than a couple inches wide. Maybe 2" at most. You'll need to rehouse more often, but small slings do better in smaller containers.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Unfortunately like other members have said that looks dead or dying which is sad to see. I hope we are wrong but it doesn't look good

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I agree with all who posted. It does indeed look to be dead or dying. Don't let that discourage you from getting another sling and diving into the hobby. It is a rewarding hobby at that. With trial and error there is always knowledge gained from those trials and errors.

Warwick555

Arachnopeon
Someone stole your other tarantula?
My aunt did, juvenile Chilean Rose hair, it was premoltimg and I stashed it to leave it be, several days later I noticed it was gone, she said I was neglecting it and took it home with her and decided to play with it and it died...but yeah a day later it's still in same position..I'm arachnophobic but love tarantulas and never been so sad over something like this or a spider dying. I'll definitely try again, just making sure it's safe, and maybe put a rock or weight on the bottom to make sure it won't tip so easily...impact wasn't that bad and it wasn't buried much...so much more fragile than I thought :(

Warwick555

Arachnopeon
That enclosure though was way too big for a sling that small (not your fault, it came that way, it sounds like). If you'd like to try again with a sling, a smaller enclosure is better. For that size, there's no need to have an enclosure more than a couple inches wide. Maybe 2" at most. You'll need to rehouse more often, but small slings do better in smaller containers.
Yeah I bought it at a local Petco and it came in that container...I noticed people housed theirs in a film sized container

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
My aunt did, juvenile Chilean Rose hair, it was premoltimg and I stashed it to leave it be, several days later I noticed it was gone, she said I was neglecting it and took it home with her and decided to play with it and it died
Flip her off for me, please. You don't play with fragile living things. I would be livid if someone did that to my animals, relative or not.

I'm arachnophobic but love tarantulas
Wow. That's a hell of a predicament. o_O

impact wasn't that bad and it wasn't buried much...so much more fragile than I thought :(
It sounds unlikely that tipping a container over on its side alone would kill it. Tarantulas do get buried and have tunnel collapses occasionally, and they just dig themselves out. I also see no evidence of a ruptured abdomen. A squished T wouldn't have time to go into a death curl. It was likely already that way before the container was tipped over.

cold blood

Staff member
My aunt did, juvenile Chilean Rose hair, it was premoltimg and I stashed it to leave it be, several days later I noticed it was gone, she said I was neglecting it and took it home with her and decided to play with it and it died
:eek: unbelievable the mind of the uneducated, especially when it comes to tarantulas:banghead::banghead: