Can't Find a Common Name- So I Made One

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I'm searching to find a common name for the Barylestis variatus and I can't find one or one that sounds proper enough. So I'm just going to call it the "Variatus Spotted Huntsman" as the common name. I know it's better to use scientific names, but I haven't seen this species get a common name online yet, besides "African huntsman". so I'll just stick to what I'll call it for a better common name.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Might be made up, but it sounds better than the super generic "African huntsman". We'll see if it catches on!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The Naming of Spiders is a difficult matter,
It isn’t just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I’m as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a spider must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES...

"Variatus Spotted Huntsman" is a great name - though it won't really qualify as a common name until it's in common use. At this point, it's roughly equivalent to naming your spider "Fred" or "Susan" - but if you can get a few breeders or vendors to start using, it may gain some traction! (That's where a lot of the common names come from anyway - as a marketing gimmick to make a spider sound exciting and different.)

Liquifin

Arachnoking
The Naming of Spiders is a difficult matter,
It isn’t just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I’m as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a spider must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES...

"Variatus Spotted Huntsman" is a great name - though it won't really qualify as a common name until it's in common use. At this point, it's roughly equivalent to naming your spider "Fred" or "Susan" - but if you can get a few breeders or vendors to start using, it may gain some traction! (That's where a lot of the common names come from anyway - as a marketing gimmick to make a spider sound exciting and different.)
I'm planning to have the third sac offspring's sold off to one of my vendors, which I'll use the name "Variatus Spotted Huntsman" for common the name. The reason is because selling spiders with just scientific names is a pain for people who aren't accustomed to spiders for vendors. Hopefully it'll spread out the name much more as a start.

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
While I find the whole idea wrong, I dont get why You created such strange mix of Latin and english? Something like "variegated hunsman" or "african variegated huntsman" would make much more sense considering way common names work.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
While I find the whole idea wrong, I dont get why You created such strange mix of Latin and english? Something like "variegated hunsman" or "african variegated huntsman" would make much more sense considering way common names work.
True, I might take first name into consideration. But I'm trying not to pander African into the mix, because a lot of huntsmans are from Africa. Which will cause more mass confusion like the Brachypelma genus being stuck with "red" in all the common names causing confusion to people. I do like the "Variegated Huntsman" name though, but I'll take out the African to not cause too much confusion.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Since I've heard this from many academic quarters it's more or less the rule: "For every name assigned to an object you will find some authority who will dispute it." In fact, the factual accuracy of factual accuracy is disputed.
Jaeger's naming Heteropoda Maxima is disputed. It is potentially future inaccurate. IE infinite digression. I'd go along with @Liquifin suggestions.
@chanda Meow.

PS I'm hoping Jaeger's common name for H Venatoria catches on: The sewer rat of spiders.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Update: I can't believe the common name "Variatus Spotted Huntsman Spider" started to catch on as the common name. I was spreading the common name out with vendors a couple months back and today I was told that Fear Not Tarantulas used the common name that I made into their website and they did use the common name I made. Although I don't know when they used the common name on their site. For a big reputable tarantula website to use the common name I made is such an honor. Thank you everyone for getting the name out there. :cigar::D:(

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Impressive, and congratulations.

For the record, throwing the Latin name into the common name is not, I think, that uncommon. A lot of birds that have rufous in the common name have it because the Latin includes "rufosa" or similar, for example. I know this is like 3 months late, but I missed it before.

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've seen "Variatus Spotted Crab Spider" a few times but not "...Huntsman Spider". Hope yours catches on and I'll use it more often as well.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
For the record, throwing the Latin name into the common name is not, I think, that uncommon.
Considering a large mammal's common name stems from one of it's member's genus name (Rhinoceros) I'm inclined to agree :).

@Liquifin, awesome! Now I need to get one so I can make a label with that name on it...

Thanks,

Arthroverts