Can't figure out my issues with condensation/humidity

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
I'm pretty new to the whole tarantula thing, only been about 1-2 weeks in the "hobby" so to speak.

I've currently got 5 animals:
- sub adult/adult unsexed avic avic
- sub adult/adult unsexed g. rose
- juvenile curly hair (Brachypelma albopilosum)
- salmon pink sling (Lasiodora parahybana)
- bronze tiger rump sling (Acanthogonatus francki) < this was a freebie, I know they aren't true tarantulas but I'm counting it as one anyway

I'm in the UK and they're in a variety of RUBs and sling pots for the smaller ones, all of them with several holes made for ventilation and whatnot. I keep having issues with condensation inside the rubs despite the ventilation. My house is pretty darn cold in the winter (I'm sat here with a sweater to be comfortable) and no heating is available. I got all the Ts in a cupboard with a heat mat (that doesn't touch all of the enclosures, it's just there to warm up the space) just to make sure they don't get too cold, but I've got -- as mentioned already -- some pretty big issues with the condensation going on!

All the Ts are on a substrate of coco fibre that I baked/microwaved to make sure it's bone dry before adding to their enclosures, except the avic that has vermiculite instead, but he/she hasn't touched the floor yet. My biggest issue is with the rose, I think. I know they like it SUPER BONE DRY but the edges of the rub keep getting slightly damp because of the condensation.

Suggestions? I don't mind changing enclosures ofc, I might get a proper faunarium for the rose just to make sure I don't kill it with the humidity. :/

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Take photos of all your enclosures and post them. We'll be able to see how you have them setup and make suggestions to help you out.

I imagine that you're getting some condensation due to the substrate being a little damp. If it's not a lot, then I'd just let it dry out on it's own. Again photos would help us help you.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm pretty new to the whole tarantula thing, only been about 1-2 weeks in the "hobby" so to speak.

My house is pretty darn cold in the winter (I'm sat here with a sweater to be comfortable) and no heating is available. I got all the Ts in a cupboard with a heat mat (that doesn't touch all of the enclosures, it's just there to warm up the space) just to make sure they don't get too cold, but I've got -- as mentioned already -- some pretty big issues with the condensation going on!

Suggestions? I don't mind changing enclosures ofc, I might get a proper faunarium for the rose just to make sure I don't kill it with the humidity. :/
The condensation is a result of the heat pad being directly under your containers which is zapping all the moisture out of the enclosure. I would definitely keep the cabinet they are in heated but I wouldn't put their cages directly on the heat source. That'll help the substrate retain some of the moisture as well and it would evaporate so quickly, causing the condensation. You'll likely continue to see some condensation in the cabinet but it shouldn't amount to much after that. That's my only suggestion.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I got all the Ts in a cupboard with a heat mat (that doesn't touch all of the enclosures, it's just there to warm up the space) just to make sure they don't get too cold,
The condensation is a result of the heat pad being directly under your containers which is zapping all the moisture out of the enclosure. I would definitely keep the cabinet they are in heated but I wouldn't put their cages directly on the heat source. That'll help the substrate retain some of the moisture as well and it would evaporate so quickly, causing the condensation. You'll likely continue to see some condensation in the cabinet but it shouldn't amount to much after that. That's my only suggestion.
The heat pads are not touching the enclosures directly so this is less of a concern. If the substrate is even a little damp and you warm up the area you'll get condensation. Again, it's hard to know how much condensation you have and if it's a problem without photos.

basin79

ArachnoGod
From reading your OP it appears there's not enough ventilation. Several holes reads like a few, not many or a lot.

Like what has been typed already. Pics of your tubs would be helpful.

And another Brit. We're a rare breed on here.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The heat pads are not touching the enclosures directly so this is less of a concern. If the substrate is even a little damp and you warm up the area you'll get condensation. Again, it's hard to know how much condensation you have and if it's a problem without photos.
Ok. I missed that part where the heat pads weren't touching. I agree, photos will help a ton.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
And another Brit. We're a rare breed on here.
Joking? :)

There's quite a few users from Great Britain, England mostly, here. On the other hand Italians (Italians from Italy, I mean, not Americans of Italian heritage) are extremely rare. Sometimes I love to speak Italian with user @hennibbale (Switzerland) for nostalgia :-(

basin79

ArachnoGod
Joking? :)

There's quite a few users from Great Britain, England mostly, here. On the other hand Italians (Italians from Italy, I mean, not Americans of Italian heritage) are extremely rare. Sometimes I love to speak Italian with user @hennibbale (Switzerland) for nostalgia :-(
Is there? I honestly thought I was a minority on here with it being predominantly yanks and a few Europeans.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
You have some options here.

1. Add more holes. You can't really add too many ventilation holes. Really. For reals. MOAR WHOLES :singing:
2. Put the heating pad on a timer (and if it's not on a thermostat to regulate and monitor the temperature of it, GET ONE IMMEDIATELY). Then just don't run the heating pad 24/7, or have a thermostat regulate it so that it runs a little colder during the day than at night.
3. Buy a space or oil heater and put the spiders in a small room with the heater (again, be sure the heater has a thermostat to regulate it).

I feel your pain. I battle condensation/humidity in my roach bins. It's either too dry & cold or too hot & wet. There's no happy medium that I've found yet :rage:

cold blood

Staff member
No pics, no real answers, just guesses. ALWAYS post pics if you want help!

cold blood

Staff member
I've got a bit of an itchy lump right next to my anus. I'll just grab a pic and tell me what you think.
I'm sure your doc would prefer a "live" view.

You are aware that this is an arachnid site and not a medical sight, right?:rofl: (and thank goodness)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Is there? I honestly thought I was a minority on here with it being predominantly yanks and a few Europeans.
I have noticed in two years, more or less, at least 7/8 users from England (and talking about the active/post ones like you, not those that log rarely) one from Wales, 3/4 from Scotland, 0 from Northern Ireland :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Condensation can also form when the inside of an enclosure is warmer than the outside. Is it permanent condensation or does it form overnight and fades away in the morning? Pics would help.

Also, in your OP, you say you have a subadult A.avic, and G.rosea, unsexed. I might be a good idea to get a ventral (underside) pic of them both, because I am afraid the seller might have sold you two males, since they can be sexed easy at that stage. Same goes for the juvies....

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not english either honest

1st where do you live st kilda?
If you have access to electricity use an halogen heater to heat the room

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
If you are keeping them in a cupboard it could be lack of air circulation and not enough vent holes. Correct me if I am wrong, but with no air moving itll be difficult for the humid air to circulate out of the enclosures enough to prevent condensation.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
While more vent holes in the T enclosures should remove the condensation from them it may not solve the overly humid atmosphere if the overall setup needs changes.

Pictures are needed of the enclosures and the cupboard / heat mats for everyone to help you best.

norma1106

Arachnopeon
I had my sling pot in a larger ventilated enclosure, which caused condensation a lot. So moved it on top instead and voila no condensation issue. Lack of air circulation due to being in a cupboard with the heat pad by sound of it mate. I live in the uk too, mate and was worried at first with it being winter now, but my sling is burrowing coming out to eat and walk around happily.
I have a lasiodora parahybana sling.
I’m new to the hobby too, but found loads of info on here

Before and after pics

Attachments